Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Warm Fuzzies

At my hippie-run elementary school, we expressed our feelings in terms of warm fuzzies and cold pricklies. Examples: Nathan, I don't like when you make fun of my last name. That gives me a cold prickly. Missy, I liked when you share your (contraband) Twinkie with me. It gave me a warm fuzzy. Pompom creatures were distributed by teachers that "caught" students giving their fellow students warm fuzzies (cold pricklies were most likely given out to children that brought unhealthy processed sugar-laden snacks from home). Actually I don't remember if there was a physical manifestation of a cold prickly. If there was, I guess I never got one : )

Did anyone else have to deal with sh*t like this when they were kids?

I made a warm fuzzy for My Missionary's Valentine's Day care package. For his sake I hope he has no clue what it is.

10 comments:

Jane said...

Sounds a little corny but I bet some kids really got into the pom poms. I went to a Sunday School that played a "Free To Be You and Me" record all the time. I still hear the song "Billy has a doll, a doll..." whenever I think of that church.

telfair said...

I read this out loud to GB & we laughed our a**es off. We didn't exactly have the same verbiage, but we both remember similar things from our own childhood.

The contraband Twinkie was priceless.

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh, we had those complete with the little pom pom creatures. (Too bad I can't see your picture!) What memories that brings back.

Barb said...

Geez, first tombstone rubbings, and now this. Creepy, Jen. I love the little guy you made though.

Morgan said...

Hilarious. Your missionary is going to LOVE his package! We know a few members in the Philipines...where is he serving?

Angela, MotherCrone said...

Just found your site and love it! I am a bit older than you, but we had a teacher who came across those terms in a "serendipity training" seminar and brought them to us to use as camp counselors. I do not want to admit to the myriad of naughty combinations twisted about the air in staff meetings.

Jennifer said...

Barb ~ Going to cemetaries to do grave rubbings gave me the cold pricklies

Morgan ~ Our cousin is serving in the Bacolod mission

debby said...

I had to run my 16-year-old daughter to the store yesterday for warm fuzzy supplies to give out for Valentine's Day.

Warm Fuzzies are alive and well in New York.

Donna said...

I had a fourth grade teacher who used the whole warm fuzzy/cold prickly thing. It wasn't a hippy school at all, just something she did based on a book called T.A. for Tots--which must have contained the story you linked to, since it sounds familiar. Then some kids in the classroom nearly pushed her to the brink of a nervous breakdown and over Christmas break she had her husband make a paddle which she would threaten us with instead. She never actually used it but it still seemed like a cold prickly.

Søren said...

dude! all these memories! Free to Be You and Me, warm fuzzies... (although the book I had with them had different illustrations from the place you linked to) - in my elementary school, in sixth grade, whenever anyone said anything sexist, someone was supposed to make an annoying buzzer noise and say SEXIST ALERT! Then we had to stop whatever we were doing and talk about it.