Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Tie One On ~ Valentine's Day

So, my ulterior reason for wanting to going roller skating was to get a shot of my TOO apron for January/February



The fabric is Love, American Style by Alexander Henry. I bought a ton of it - future uses for the rest as yet to be determined. Here's the pattern



Appropriately 70s style, me thinks.



The rink photo shoot did not go -- quite according to plan. The people were cool with us taking pictures, and the clientele were either very young or very old, so no worries about being completely embarrassed in the process. There were lighting issues - but - as luck would have it, I had received a bounce flash as a b-day gift!



We didn't get enough
pics of the rink in general. All we could capture were ghostly images like you saw on my b-day post (and the dude over my shoulder in the first pic here - creepy!) Cool onto themselves, I guess. Since our camera's worth is well over $1K now with all its extra gadgets, it isn't exactly something one should skate around with. Particularly as, yes, I did fall once - banged my knee up pretty bad. I also wish I had done some more creative posing - I basically am doing a toe stop in every shot. Don't be surprised if you see something totally different when this is posted on the TOO website.



What's new at the roller rink: I can't skate backwards anymore. Only one girl sported pompoms. Skates look like hiking boots now. I had to ask for the old-school ones. Skates are very expensive to buy.




Some things never change: Groups of young girls skating holding hands. An aged, warped wooden floor. Some dude in his 40s that probably comes every single night to strut his stuff and leer at the teenage girls. The same cheesy games. Oh, and the Couples' Skate.


Love, American style.



Holiday Skate Center
175 N. Wayfield
Orange, CA 92867

13 comments:

eviedee said...

SO RAD!! I don't think that I have met an Alexander Henry fabric that I didn't love. Seeing this heart and stars pattern takes things to new heights, oh baby! Fabulous apron, fabulous posing!

crazycatladymel said...

First: A belated, but warmly wished "Happy Birthday"! My work computer will NOT let me comment to your blog for some reason, and I kept flaking on it by time I got home.

Second: You are simply adorable! And so is the apron!! I love the photo shoot concept. And you're way braver than me. I used to roller skate to work (early 80's), but you'd never catch me on a pair now.

OldRound said...

Valiant effort! Roller skates terrify me. Especially now that I can barely even ice skate and that was my forte. I think the funniest thing is that you are roller skating with your bag!

Carrie S. said...

I didn't know there were any of those places around anymore! How fun! We used to have one up here in PV (of all places)! I love your 70's apron! Nice job!

Dee Light said...

Great Apron. Thinking of the skating rink makes me think of the "Snow Ball" couple skate and how silly we all were. It looks like you had a good time. Oh, and I think the ghost effect in the pics is kind of cool.

DivaDeb said...

Oh my, what memories!
My rink was up the 91 freeway from yours: Meadowlark in Fullerton...and another one in downtown Fullerton with a crown on the roof, but I can't remember the name. Kings? Meadowlark had the same warped wood floor, cheesy games, bad music on a horrid sound system, and I was one of those girls! Wow. Time flies.The guy I married used to hang out there, too - his uncle owned the place. I didn't know that then!

And tho it sounds like a fun, retro way to celebrate a birthday, I am not as brave or as young as you...so I'll sit on the uncomfortable wooden benches and watch everyone else spin circles in the center of the rink!

telfair said...

You are the cutest thing EVAH, my dear. And the apron is tres chic -- you were the most stylish gal at the rollerball, I have no doubts!

little lovelies said...

Oh man, talk about bringing back the memories! How fun! I love roller skating back in the day....

Gina said...

Look how pretty you are!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Adorable,did you order your suicide,with or without pickle juice?

elizabeth said...

girl! that apron rawks my socks off. love its 70's-ness!

Rachel said...

I love that fabric~

Christy said...

After reading this post, I have to delurk....Can't believe you did a photo shoot at Holiday! I covered many miles on that same warped wood floor in my youth. I used to skate there and at Skate Station in Anaheim. Even had my own skates - black racing skates with turquoise wheels and laces. :)

Great choice on the fabric for your apron. Very cool!