Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Psychic Friends Network

Maybe some of you have noticed, too, since you've been a part of "the community" that blog buddies have an almost psychic ability to know when you need a pick-me-up. I finally caught "the ick" that has been going around. Which is funny, really, as I was just planning a couple of weeks ago to do a filler post about "things that work," which would have included a bit about Zicam and how it helped me avoid getting sick this cold season. Unfortunately that one has been downgraded to the List of things that sometimes work, but probably not when you really need them to.



So today - I was planning on taking another sick day (two in a row - very rare for me, and very indicative of how bad I got it), when I saw some email messages about a burgeoning *crisis* that I really couldn't,
in good conscience, leave my boss to deal with on his own. I popped two each of all the "daytime" cold remedies we had in the house, and cruised into work wearing jeans and a pajama top. I stated the obvious, that I was not happy. My boss told me to go home - but I said that wouldn't do me any good, as now I was all hopped up on anger and antihistamines, and I wouldn't be getting much rest, anyway. I got everything straightened out, earned a few brownie points in the process, and slipped out at 2:00 to go home and take the reciprocal cold remedy "downers" in the medicine cabinet that would ensure an afternoon of peaceful rest.

Before doing so, however, I found the happy sight of a decorated envelope on my porch



From sweet Liz, who just wanted to "thank me for being a good friend." How sweet is that?! Liz has the most amazing collection of ephemera, and I am grateful for every little bit she has passed my way. The postcards on the right give instructions for cutting out and making little paper creations, but I don't know if I would have the heart. The other items have me itching to try a collage project. And, here is the psychic part: The giant bar of chocolate and the tea - the two things besides cold medicines that I rely on to see me through an illness! I'm not kidding - I eat more chocolate when I am sick than a kid at Halloween. I don't know if it does my body any good, or if it is just for my psyche, but I am a chocolate fiend when I am sick. Somewhere in the cosmos, Liz heard my plea, and sent a little care package my way. Thank you, Liz, for being a good friend - I feel much better already!

8 comments:

emmie johnson said...

I totally love the gifts. They show just how much blog friends understand each other no matter how far they live from one another. Hope you feel better now.
Hey! you can also drop into my blog on friendship greeting cards for some beautiful e-greeting cards and friendly tips.

Coleen said...

Get well soon! You're a trooper for going in to work... I love sick days! (It's the only time I get to watch Martha!) :)

jungle dream pagoda said...

Sorry your not feeling so well,I am diligently trying to stay well. In my biz sick= no voice,so I take aireborne daily to help prevent,and when the tickle becomes immense I take 3-5 aireborne. The cast is so younge and they don't know how to care for themselves during a show yet. ...and when they get sick they share!

telfair said...

You are a damn good employee to go in when you're sick.

Look on the bright side -- maybe you infected your boss. ;)

Sorry your Zicam failed you. I used to rely on Airborne for the same subliminal effectiveness but recently heard it's a scam. So I can (sort of) relate. Take good care of yourself.

Miss Bliss said...

Oh! I am soooo sorry that you are under the weather! I have been preparing a little giftie for you and now would be a good time to send it. If you want a giftie to arrive on your doorstep please send your addy to missbliss76@gmail.com... And just a side note, I think that chocolate does a world of good!Sick or not, sometimes you just need the pick up a little more when you're down.

Barb said...

I got a package too! Liz treated the two of us. I needed a boost too, so it was much appreciated. There's just nothing quite like mail too, you know? I hope you're feeling better...

Gina said...

Aww, what a lovely story. Life gave you what you needed. Thanks for sharing that. And I hope you are feeling better now!

Jennifer said...

Just in case anyone is worried (haha), my blog is currently under review by Blogger as a potential Spam blog. Yeah - I have a few choice words to describe that situation...

Hope this issue is resolved soon! I have lots to share with you!