Pages

Thursday, February 08, 2007

My Funny Valentine Socks

Well, I finally took a bold step and knit my first pair of socks



I know - ew, ick - Red Heart acrylic yarn. I couldn't help it! I saw the pattern at Walmart, and the yarn did look so cute and Valentine-y sitting next to it. It was probably good to start with a bulky yarn for my first pair so I could get used to knitting heels and heel-rows, gussets and insets. They were so much fun! I am definitely going to try another pair with the good yarn next time.

Since they really are too thick to be considered socks, I am deeming them slipper socks, and as such they needed some non-slip grip. Enter the puffy paint


(the white blur in the background is Chuy - couldn't pass up a lap to sit on at his level)

I wonder if all the young hipsters out there who are reinventing 80s fashion realize that puffy paint was where it really was at. Add a little to a baggy pullover sweatshirt (hoodie? never heard of it), or use it to adorn your Keds. Don't forget your jeans (preferably the non-Guess? pair your mom accidentally bought your for Christmas) and your Esprit book bag. Ah - the 80s...

I'm going to send my first pair of socks to the same place I sent my first knitted project - to my BFF. We are almost birthday twins, just a couple of days apart. We shared many a puffy paint experience circa 1986. I'm also sending her this



For Christmas she sent me a lovely tin of handmade boutique chocolates from Japan. I figured this was nearly the equivalent by American standards, right? And, it is approved by Jenny! Git-R-Done!

14 comments:

Jenny said...

HA! Approved?! For shame, young lady. Git-R'Done indeed!!

Jenny said...

PS: Cute slipper-socks!!

elizabeth said...

love, love, love your socks. i don't care if its acrylic or not.

oh and do i remember the days of puffy paint. i had a friend and we got together and puffy painted white tshirts, the cuffs of socks, and some paper for earrings. sure did sport those the next day (after they dried of course) at school with our tight rolled jeans and bangs teased to the ceiling. i'll have to see if i have pictures of that.

Natalia said...

Woah! Since when has Red Heart made self-striping yarn? Your socks look fantastic!

Mom said...

Love the socks! Super cute!

Lilli said...

These sock are TOO CUTE ! I'm impressed. The only thing I've ever knit was a scarf for my husband...

http://makemineblissful.blogspot.com/2006
/12/knitting.html

shizzknits said...

Love the socks, even if they are Red Heart! LOL And the puffy paint just *makes* them.

OldRound said...

Come 2027 Red Heart Yarn will probably be back in style. I always figure there must have been some reason that acrylics and polyesters etc became popular.

Nice socks! Like the pattern.

Coleen said...

Great idea on the socks! Yeah, I keep telling the kids that I wore what they're wearing, and listened to that when I was thier age... we need to bring back the puff paint!!!

telfair said...

I can't BELIEVE those are your first pair of socks! They're beautiful! I love the stripes. I would have thought you'd been doing it for a lifetime.

Actually -- this is going to sound like blasphemy -- but I sort of think a yarn with some acrylic in it makes good socks. Cotton is too droopy, pure wool is too scratchy!

Love them!

cristina said...

these are great! i love your homage to the 80's puffy paint. it really was great stuff, wasnt it?

Patricia said...

Cute socks. The Git-r-done chocolate sold out in a day here!I'll be buying the Elvis chocolates.

leslie said...

thanks for all the lovely valentines gifts! lizzie tried to yell thank you to you as we drove off, but didnt have an open window! thanks for a fun night jennifer!

janelle said...

oh my goodness. . i so want an espirit tote bag right now! mine was teal with pink text i think. . . i loved that thing. i also had cool key chains attached to the strap. like a glitter-in-water ball. and other lisa frank colored type tchotchkies!
xoj