Pages

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Meant To Be

I hope you all are enjoying Super Bowl Sunday! But, if by chance you, like me, are not really into the sports scene, I have prepared a little fouf and frilliness for us to enjoy



This is my Asian inspired Valentine's Day display. I am so in love with this set-up, it makes me weak in the knees just seeing these pictures! I had to make about a dozen stops to compile all of the components, and of course a trip to Chinatown was required (oh - don't twist my arm!) But, there was minimal crafting involved, so that was a plus.



It is especially comforting to look at it at night as the mini lantern lights and candles let off a rosy glow. I feel like I should be lounging about wearing a silk robe, sipping a mimosa, and listening to soft music from a classic radio. The best song I can find in our collection to capture the mood is "Meant to Be" by the Squirrel Nut Zippers. So happy...

Some more pics ~



(A teacup full of candy and a silver fortune cookie)



(I decorated my branches with Martha's paper cherry blossoms)



(This paper kite makes my heart soar!)



[I found this Flickr picture and added one more item to the list of why Japan the coolest place on earth. I can't really find anything else about this tradition, but I love the idea, and made a few prayer hearts of my own (private prayers to be added later - in English). I tried to copy the Japanese writing as best I could - I hope I didn't end up writing something like: Polka bear like to be drinking lemons. Good night! or some other nonsensical phrase. Or maybe that would be very apropos?]



(Real cherry blossoms purchased in Chinatown yesterday)

And just so you don't worry that BT will come home from his manly day of golf playing and Super Bowl watching and be shocked that his living room has been turned into a den of femininity, here was our conversation last night:

Me: I love this so much - I wish our WHOLE HOUSE was decorated like this!
BT: (gives me "the stare")
Me: OK. Well, I guess I wish I had decorated my place like this before I met you.
BT: I would have thought you were very cool
Me: (wonders if that means he didn't think I was cool when we met?!)

17 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

The little wooden china doll is my favorite! I am pretty lucky, my husband is not the least bit concerned about the amount of frou-frou in our house.

Lilli said...

Thanks for the lush pinkness. I'm loving the gorgeous peonies :)

ArtsyMama said...

This is absolutely lovely. Love the mood and the colors and the objects that you so carefully chose. Just beautiful!! Love the oriental theme. That kite is fabulous!!!

eviedee said...

This is lovely! I feel inspired to make my own trip to Chinatown. BTW I NEVER know what my husband will object to. Giant orange bunny cookie jar-a O.K. Giant Bunny painting, no go.

Heidi said...

Gorgeous! I love how you combine Valentine's Day plus Asian New Year (in February this year). Btw, I got those cool silve fortune cookies from my sister for Christmas this year (from Pottery Barn?). I love them!

Amy said...

That pink teacup is making me quite happy...

Sharmy said...

It is beautiful! I love Chinatown!

Emy said...

So beautiful!!! I love it so much. I have a collection of fans hanging in my bedroom. Its one of my favorite things ever. I keep hoping that I will run across a paper umbrella somewhere around here. No luck so far. Plenty of fans to be found though!

Mom said...

Love it! What a great idea! I love the flowers in the take out containers

quiltwhileyoureahead.typepad.com said...

fantastic display! Loving it.

Kristen said...

It all looks so beautiful, well done! I love Asian style.

leslie said...

i think our husbands would get along fine, love the "stare" he gave you, i see that a lot over here.

elizabeth said...

stunning girl! simply stunning! got my nutcracker in the mail the other day. *LOVE* it!!!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Yay!!!! Love this decor its a pagoda Panacea,for Valentines day!!Love the conversation with the hub too. Thank you ever-so for my sweet newyears wishes!

cristina said...

i LOVE it....its wonderful....it makes me want to cookies at your house.

Rebecca said...

LOL! I'm sorry but I just love that converstion. :) Your display is beautiful and inspiring! Maybe I'll dust off my lovely velvet geisha painting that's been in the basement since I moved in with my dear Louie.

Saucy said...

That's a perfect combo for some reason, and I'd never equate Valentine's Day with Asia but you did it so sweetly. I feel a deco-lift coming on.