Pages

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Meant for Tea

As I mentioned having you over for tea, I'd like to show you one of my special collections - my tea set for 6



This was made for me for my bridal shower by my Mom,
4 of my friends, and then soon-to-be MIL, SILs, Aunts, and cousins.


(teapot painted by my MIL)

I get very funny about celebrating me. You would think as an only child, this would be my cup of tea (pardon the cheesy but appropriate for this post cliche)



Though I love to throw parties, and go to parties, I do not like to be the center of attention at an event. I usually try to avoid any situation where my name is mentioned in the invitation. Since those around me will not let me forget about graduations, birthdays, and other special events and insist on doing something for me, I, in turn, insist that we do something that takes the focus off of me.



So, for my bridal shower, we went to Color Me Mine. Painting your own pottery was probably already passe circa 2001, but I thought the tea set would make a nice keepsake. And, of course, everyone would be busy painting and not staring at me. As the tea set was their gift to me, this also took the pressure off of me to show the proper amount of excitement when opening gifts (another aspect of "me parties" that makes me break out in a cold sweat)



At the time the store did not sell plain saucers to go with their tea cups, so I was kind of forced to go with the fruit themed set. In a way it was good, because a lot of people there were freaked out about having to paint their item from scratch, so the fruit gave them some ideas.


(my cup - saucer was painted by a friend)

I love my little tea set! I don't really have that many opportunities to use it, but it has it's own special place in our kitchen



See just behind the red chair under the two small drawers? This was probably used to hold china in days of old. The sliding doors are missing, but that's just as well as everyone can see my special tea set when they walk in to the kitchen. It was meant to be...for tea.

11 comments:

Emy said...

What a lovely gift! It will always be so special!
(PS. I love the flowers in the teapot! I do that too.)

Mary Jane said...

I love your kitchen! it is to die for cute!

Sarah and Jack said...

Now that I can see more of your kitchen, I see how interesting it is. How old is your house?

leslie said...

love your kitchen, very retro!

Miss Bliss said...

Love it. I get your attachment to it, and your aversion to being the center of attention. Wanna make me sweat bullets and want to run away as fast as I can? Get out that chair in the middle of the room and set me in it!!! So I hear ya sister! What a lovely keepsake and what a great way to get it... Very you. (BTW super clean kitchen, love the crispness)

Barb said...

I love this idea. When a friend of mine was pregnant, and we knew it was going to be a girl, myself and another friend threw her a tea-themed baby shower. Have I told you this already? The cake was Mrs. Potts, with a design saying "It's a par-tea for Kiers-tea." The guests were instructed to wear a party dress and bring a tea party type finger food...little snobby cucumber sandwiches and stuff (I would never ask a guest to bring anything today, but I didn't know any better then). Anyway, for a game, we had this really cool pink tea set with its own little caddy, and a bunch of supplies so each guest could paint a cup for the little girl and it would be her keepsake. It was really fun.

Ah ha! I see there is still red in your kitchen!

Patricia said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing>

Cerri said...

Your kitchen is wonderful!!
Very sweet tea set too!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tea set love!

Sarah ~ There is some debate about the age of our house. The management company told us it was built in 1928. I agree with this time. My husband and Dad, however, think it is not the original house built on the site, and that our house was built in the 1940s.

Deb said...

What a fantastic kitchen!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Super adorable kitchen,I would love to stop in for tea!