Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Feeling Mailorder-y

I have some Mailorder goodness to share with you! Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be making the biggee project, The Sampler, at this time. I found out this weekend that I am very slow with the hand work.

I did, however, make the Cardamom Coffee Cake and added color to the cute paper recipe stand



I wasn't sure if my coffee cake came out too dark, so just in case, I doused it in icing. I think this was my favorite Mailorder recipe yet!



I also did one of the small cross-stitch projects




In doing this project, I wanted to do something with the cross-stitched "flower tree" instead of the standard uses for needlework. Luckily I found all of the elements at Walmart to make, in my mind, a unique project incorporating the stitched piece. I found the woven knitting basket (which has a linen liner with a hole to bring your working yarn through) and a paper mache frame there. I covered the frame with fabric (little white tulips), and hot glued the whole thing onto the basket. I think it will hold pretty well.


*

Another fun Mailorder! I do so love Amy's illustrations and writing style. I printed out the prize from guessing the secret word, and gave it to BT. He laughed so hard - I was bummed I had to admit that it was designed by somebody else, and I am just not that clever.

* Some notes about this picture:

~ I cheated a little and used Aida instead of the recommended linen - easier on the eyes!

~ This is not the start of a new knitting project. This is what they call a staged picture.The Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere was left over from this baby welcome gift



~ The knitting needle roll is a very old project on mine. I didn't realize the importance at the time of including a flap to keep the needles inside the roll (doh!). Luckily there is a Crafter's Companion project coming up for a new knitting needle case!

~ I am probably the last person on the planet that prefers metal knitting needles to wooden ones. I am actually disappointed when I have to buy wooden ones if they don't have the size I am looking for in metal. I love the clickety clack of the needles while I am knitting, and all of the different colors they come in.

13 comments:

Amy said...

What a gorgeous gift! Beautiful sweater...

Dorie said...

wow, does that look delicious!

Natalia said...

You're not the only one, I prefer metal needles too! Unfortunately, as far as cheap metal needles go, my local craft store only carries Boye, and I much prefer Susan Bates.

Megan said...

Mmmm, can smell that spicey goodness from here.

leslie said...

can i come over for cake? yum!

Emy said...

What a beautiful gift! I love the little suitcase. So cute! I want one, but full of yummy cake. :D

Heidi said...

I like metal needles too sometimes. They're really smooth with certain yarns.

Love the baby gift. Did you decorate the suitcase yourself? With fabric or paper? Great idea!

Amy said...

I love metal needles too. Ditto on the color thing, and also I started on metal because they were cheap, but when I splurged on bamboo they seemed somehow less substantial or something.

jungle dream pagoda said...

That cake looks and sounds delish!

eviedee said...

Please share more of your oddities! Details on my blog. :)

kelli said...

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy visiting this site. You are so creative, and your posts always manage to cheer me up! Thanks for writing and crafting!

elizabeth said...

oh my that cake looks delish! and love what you did with the xstitching.

Rebecca said...

I only knit on metal! I thought I was the only one, too! I really don't get the whole "the wood catches on the yarn." Why is that a good thing? Love you yarn basket by the way, I have one with a blue liner. :) (NTW I'm a long time lurker :))