Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Crafter's Companion ~ #2

Had to do one more project from The Crafter's Companion so you knew this was a true commitment to do all of the projects from the book and not just a passing fancy



This is the Fabric Scarf and Brooch designed by Cassi Griffin. What a fun idea! I can see making many more of these.



I didn't have enough of the main front print in my stash to make the scarf the correct length, but luckily I found another print that went with it.
I have actually had the main front print and lining fabric for quite some time. I was so tickled when I received this purse from Ms. Posie and it was lined with the same swirly flower print



Wow - now if I only had her knack for crochet...

The sage green sweater knit is eternally old. At some point in stashing fabric for the clothes I make for kids that do not exist yet, I was crazy about sweater knits. I bought as many as I could find. I since have weeded out all but a couple yards' worth. Oddly enough, this is the first project I ever made that incorporated one of these "favorite" fabrics.



Finally, I am quite proud of myself in terms of the brooch. I am trying to step outside my box a little bit an try to find un-matching fabrics that look ok together. There are little hints of the scarf colors in these fabrics, but overall they make a piece that is boldly different. As with the craft blogosphere at large, I look to crafty women like Cassi for inspiration, and a playful challenge to try something new.

7 comments:

Emy said...

The floral print is so pretty! I have some of the green fabric from your flower. Hopefully I'll get to use it soon on a skirt that I have been planning.

Sarah and Jack said...

It's lovely, and good for you for making a second project from the book. My second attempt was the house tissue cover, and it was a horrible failure.

leslie said...

love that swirly fabric. you are so crafty jen!

Amy said...

So great. I love it! My husband's flying to London tomorrow for work and I've just added The Crafter's Companion to the list of books I NEED him to bring back :) I thought I could wait until it came out on Amazon US, but now I think not.

jungle dream pagoda said...

I love that brooch!Thos mismatched fabrics look great together!

Amy said...

Beautiful job. So you bought that knitted piece just as fabric on a bolt? Brilliant! That's a great use for it. Kuddos to you for progressing on the projects of the book -- I thought that sounded like fun to and have yet to make one.

Barb said...

The fabrics are beautiful together, Jen (though I'm totally off on your style--I didn't take you for the flowery type. Hmmm...). I love Bella Dia's stuff. Where did you get your copy of the book?