Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

9 to 5

Pardon a little ranting here, but seriously - what happened to the 9 to 5 work day?


9 a.m. to 5 p.m. equals 8 hours total BUT the kicker is that schedule included an hour paid lunch! So really it was a 7 hour work day. When did we stop getting paid lunches? An hour long lunch in itself is considered a perq nowadays, and usually requires a doctor's note. Of course, the lunchtime half hour is added onto your "work hours," and is not part of scheduled work time.

I would be very happy to work seven hours a day. Going in at 9:00, getting an extra hour of sleep - seems ideal. Or, I could go in at 8:00 and leave at 4:00! Ah, to get home during daylight hours...

My question is - why do we work more hours in a day now in a time when things have gotten so much more efficient? We do not need to use a typewriter and type multiple copies of a document to finalize it. We can send emails versus waiting to set up a meeting. We can review information online rather than going to the library. There are so many things that make our jobs easier. It seems that now is the time to bring back the 7, or heck - a 6 hour workday, but for the same amount of pay. Including a paid lunch, of course. Due to efficiencies in the work place. Fine. I'm starting a petition.

The reason I am saying all of this is that I am bummed that I do not have anything to show you craft-wise lately. I have a million ideas going on upstairs, but limited time to complete them. By the time I work out, get groceries, cook dinner, clean up, do some laundry - the night is over. I save myself a little time to communicate with the outside world via this blog, and then it's lights out. Bear with me - I'm pretty sure this weekend I will have something interesting to show you.

Not sure if this will be interesting or not, but Megan tagged me for the 6 weird things meme:

1. I have weird contradictions in foods that I like: I like grapes, grape juice, and wine but not raisins. Tomatoes, salsa, ketchup, but not tomato juice. Apple juice, applesauce, but not whole apples.

2. Speaking of eating, I am a systematic eater. I'm not so bad to care if food is touching on the plate, but I will finish one thing in its entirety before moving on to the next thing. This goes for the accompanying beverage as well. Unless I really need to wash something down while I am eating, I save the drink for last. Oh, and I eat really really fast.

3. Hmmm...most of the the things I am thinking of are gross rather than weird. I guess that is kind of weird.

4. I don't like hugging people. I think it is because I am always afraid that my armpits stink (see - gross!) Usually they do not stink. I hug because it is required socially. Most people figure out that it is not my thing. Husband is excluded from this paranoia, of course.

5. I think my feet are really cute, but in general I hate seeing people's feet. Especially men's feet.
Except my husband's again. Mark Thatcher, the inventor of Teva sandals, is most likely a minion of the devil.

6. I often daydream about being on a talk show. A nice one, of course - not Jerry Springer or anything.

Tag! Elizabeth, Barb, and Telfair - you're it!

7 comments:

Natalia said...

I about fell out of my chair when I was interviewing for my current job and they told me work hours were 8-5 monday-thursday, and 8-3 on fridays(and an hour for lunch every day). Even just those two extra hours have made a huge difference on my quality of life - I can't even imagine what an extra hour a day would be like!

Sarah and Jack said...

LOL at the Teva thing. BTW, I knew what you meant in the first comment on the blog, no worries about offending me!

telfair said...

Man, do I ever know what you mean. I cannot even imagine being able to rock into work at 9, have a full lunch, and head out at 5.

It doesn't seem fair at all.

Jane said...

I could not agree with you more! My father used to be home for dinner everynight by 5:30. I don't know anyone who can have a family dinner at that hour anymore. We will pay for this as a society. The stuff outside of work is what makes us healthy citizens!

Barb said...

Oh crap, Megan beat me to it. I was just going to tag you. Finny already got me too, by the way. And coming up with six things is surprisingly difficult. I am so seriously surprised about the hugging and dancing thing. You seem like you'd be so touchy feely (like me). Interesting.

And I so agree with the six hour work day.

eviedee said...

I read this already and everything! I totally forgot! :) Thanks for sharing!!

pedalpower said...

The work day thing is amazing isn't it...it has to do with the bottom line of course. Where my best friend works (huge corporation you would know) they are required to "donate" an extra hour a day...which not so amazingly adds up to their holiday/vacation days/sick days. In other words the company still gets work for those "paid" vacation days.