Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Welcome, Friends

To a new year. I hope that it brings you peace, love, and joy.

I also hope we can continue to get to know each other better. Maybe you can stop by the house one afternoon? I will need to hurry you past the living room and the couch covered in cat hair; and you really shouldn't look in the bedroom just yet until BT finishes my craft closet and I can put shiz away; and please do not dawdle too long in the bathroom, lest you uncover some breed of toothpasty hairy t.p. monster.



But the kitchen, that is our oasis. I hope we can sit down and enjoy a cup of tea together.



Please note the blue-tipped flames on the burners - I patiently cleared every port with the end of a paper clip (per Martha's instructions). I also weeded out my tea collection to reserve only the freshest varieties.

If you'll excuse me a moment...feel free to look around if you are so inclined.



You will see that the drawers have all be re-lined with grip liner. I bought the drawer organizers* last year around this time, but it is always good to go through things at least once a year and weed out unnecessary and damaged items.



The oven is pretty darn near spotless (patting self on back). I tried to use less caustic methods to get it clean, but ended up buying a can of Easy Off in the end. We could eat off the stove, it is that clean - hehe. But please don't expect me to cook something on it just yet - I'd like to enjoy my pristine kitchen for a day or two longer.



The fridge? Yes, it is a little bare. We are starting the new year with plans for better diets and more exercise. This appears to be a version of the model's diet - a TV dinner and a bottle of vodka.

Oh, and that is my little art project



I have struggled to come up with something to put above the stove for quite some time. Since the theme of cleaning the kitchen was to start the new year with a "clean slate," I had an aha! moment when it occurred to me that I could paint a board with chalkboard paint to put up there. Its purpose will be to put up an inspirational or motivational quote to help get me through the days when things are not as clean as they are right now.

Well, thank you for stopping by! I've truly enjoyed our time together, and am looking forward to seeing you more often in 2007!


* Drawer organizers and storage containers all from Target.

16 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Happy (clean) new year! I am glad to see I am not the only one who is delighting in the silverware drawer.

Barb said...

Eeek! Loooove the blackboard! No more red accents? Just black and white now? (I'm paying attention to every detail for swap time)

Barb said...

Oh, and Happy New Year Jen! I hope we become 'real' friends in the coming year. We're not really that far away distance wise. I think it will be nice.

Scarlet Tanager said...

Happy New Year! Your kitchen looks amazing!

Emy said...

Happy New Years! Your kitchen looks great!

Dee said...

Happy New Year! I love the blackboard paint. Brilliant!

telfair said...

That is the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen!

It made me ponder if I should clean my gas ports with a paperclip...

Ali said...

Oh I am SUCH a slob. Your gorgeous kitchen puts me to shame. Running away with my head hanging to find a paperclip.

Im my next life, I want to return as a tidy person.

Happy New Year!

jek-a-go-go said...

i love the chalkboard above the stove and just may borrow that idea...;) i am also quite envious of the organized kitchen...me, i just cleaned off the kitchenb tabl and have so much more to do but i will get there, i will!

happy new year!

eviedee said...

What a lovely kitchen! When hubby and I moved a new fridge into our kitchen I had a grand time using it as a pristine prop for pictures before we got rid of our old fridge. :)Happy New Year!

Jo said...

wow that is the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen! True dedication using a paperclip to clean with, if the top of my cooker gets a squirt of cleaner and I wipe over I feel like I've worked hard!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Loved, love, loved my tour!Your printing is just so darned festive! I noticed that with my halley fun pack. Just lovely!

Stephanie said...

I love, love, love your kitchen. It looks so clean and I too would be taking a picture of my oven if it were that nice looking on the inside!

elizabeth said...

wow!

love what you've done with the blackboard.

happy, happy 2007 to you :)

Amy said...

Oh that looks really fun. I get about one drawer at a time cleaned out if I'm lucky and that is on a good day. I remember those weekends of cleaning/organization -- such domestic bliss.

Happy new year and new kitchen to you.

leslie said...

i have a chalkboard wall in each of my kids rooms, and they love it! good idea, maybe i will make one for our kitchen to help me with all my to-do lists. happy new year!