Pages

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Matthew Mead Made My Holiday Merry and White (#20)

Matthew Mead is an editor of Country Home magazine, and he produced a special holiday edition of the magazine this year. I've pretty much destroyed the thing flipping through it so many times - every single idea in the magazine is so inspiring!



This blog has helped me explore my own creativity further and not necessarily copy things from magazines exactly as shown (I didn't earn a nickname of Martha without warrant). But, when I'm inspired to do a project from a magazine, I shouldn't feel guilty about it - that's why they produced the darn thing!



This pompom wreath made me happy seeing it in the magazine, and makes me even happier seeing and touching it in real life! Love the textures, the different yarns I used in making the pompoms (knitters - there is use for that novelty yarn you've been gifted after all), and the different shades of white. The i-cord bow was my addition (there - I am not a craft robot).

The wreath form was a new resource to me. I tried really hard to find one online to show you, but I must not be using the right search terms. The forms are flat 1/4 inch thick pressboard and come in 6, 12, and 18 inch sizes. It was a welcome change from straw, grapevine, or styrofoam wreaths. Look at Michaels in the floral supply aisle.

Another project from the magazine was a twig display hung with icicles and round cookies



I just used round hang tags and glass icicles, and also added some glittery birds.

Paper doves - also from Matthew Mead (the pattern can be downloaded from his website)



I filled in the rest of the display with white tchotchkes



(feather ornament and reindeer from Walmart)



(gilded fruit from JoAnn)



(angel from JoAnn)



(I-can't-believe-that-I-paid-this-much-for-a-house-made-out-of-paper from one of those snooty kind of stores. Hey guess what Snooty McSnootersons - I am totally making my OWN paper houses as gifts for my friends this year! neener neener neener)



and what holiday display this year would be complete without some soft trees?



It is very peaceful to look at this display. Thanks, Matthew Mead - I'm no longer dreaming of a white Christmas...

New camera was without its zoom lens. Too stupid to figure out how to put it back on. Had to resurrect old camera.

20 comments:

Cerri said...

Wow,your scene looks beautiful!! Love it all! The pompom wreath is amazing!
Aer you going to make your little paper houses from scratch, or are you decorating some you found?

Pam said...

I love your winter wonderland Christmas decorations, so sweet and serene. I think you are very creative! I'd be interested to know more about your paper house creations too.

Tamie said...

Wonderful! Now you are the one inspiring people!

Coleen said...

So lovely! Where do you find the time or energy?

Amy said...

Oh my heavens! Soooooo beautiful and inspiring. In one shot the candles looked perilously close to the wreath and having just set a pile of paper napkins aflame, I'm perhaps a bit fire shy. In the other shots they didn't look as close.
Feeling woefully behind on my decorating now. Must get to work.

Anonymous said...

I love all the different shades of white--it is really peaceful! You have a really nice mix of textures and it looks great. I love those starfish! Pretty, pretty, pretty! I have that mag too and I've loved it. Hopefully there'll be a good response and he'll continue publishing!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, all! Amy - you are right about the candles. I need to move them a bit I think. It would be so sad to see the pompom wreath go up in flames.

Cerri and Pam - I am cheating on the paper houses. I was going to make my own from scratch using cardstock, but after seeing Liquid Paper's wonderful version, I lost my confidence. I decided I wanted something a little sturdier anyway, and found paper mache birdhouses at Michaels that I think will work. They are very small - about 2 1/2 inches high - perfect ornament size! I will add doors and windows and other special touches.

deb said...

sooo pretty. The pom pom wreath is gorgeous! I too love this magazine!

Jenn said...

Just lovely! And I love your bow! Hmm, I am having a red and white Christmas....

jungle dream pagoda said...

So lovely!I could never have the discipline to only use one color.Just beautiful!

brandie said...

oh, i really *really* like that wreath! awesome!

Megan said...

Gorgeous monochrome action.

matthew mead said...

Hi Jennifer,

This is Matthew Mead writing... not only made my day, but my year... there is nothing more flattering then seeing these ideas come to life and with such style and grace... I am awed by your talent and truly inspired by how you made this look your own... Thanks to you and all of your fellow bloggers who have purchased my magazine and replicated the crafts... I have never felt more validated, more thrilled, more moved... and I am so glad it has been recieved so warmly... many, many blessings for you and yours this holiday... Warmly, Matthew Mead www.matthewmeadstyle.com

Cristina said...

its allllll so beautiful!

pinar said...

I just say wow..
really brilliant shiny.. and clear as swow is..
love it..
enjoy it a lot..

pinar said...

=)) I meant snow..

valou said...

verry nice !!! I love everythings you make !!!so much Great idea in your web blog !!!!

(sorry for my bad english ;-( )

Rebecca said...

Beautiful! New to the blog and hope to see some of those paper houses you are making. Off to check old posts in case I missed them! (dying to make some, too)

ratichoo said...

this is a wonderful set of decorations. I love white christmas!

Coleen said...

Scandanavian, huh? That sounds beautiful. I think I saw an awesome article in Country Living you might like... December issue. That is so cool that you have a theme each year, I can't wait to see the White Trash tree. If that is still your theme...