Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Feast Day of Lucia (#13)

I was inspired to celebrate Saint (or Santa? I'll just abbreviate St.) Lucia Day this year after buying these delicate gingersnaps and perfectly adorable chocolate ginger truffle (pepparkakstryffel - say that 3 times fast) dala horses at Cost Plus





I bought them last month, and am glad I did, as subsequent trips have shown them to be sold out. Is there a secret Swedish community in Long Beach that I don't know about?



Adding to my excitement, I read Alicia's post about her college days celebrating St. Lucia's day (how romantic...I think all we ever at "celebrated" at college was finding the liquor store that sold the largest keg). And, she just posted her wonderful tutorial to make your own St. Lucia dolls - love!



I had high hopes of making lussekatter to serve with the morning coffee - but - I don't have much patience for making yeasty things during the week. I'll have to wait until St. Lucia Day falls on a weekend one year in order to take on that project. Anyway, I found these lingonberry scones at Trader Joe's - they had a nice yellow saffron-ish color to them



Now that it's nighttime, the real party can begin - bring out the Glogg!



There was a base for the glogg at Cost Plus as well. Pretty good, I must say. I didn't set mine on fire, but that sounds like fun (those crazy Swedes...)

I have a feeling this will be a new annual tradition!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Where did you get the candle holder? As usual, I love your display.

elizabeth said...

everything looks yummy! especially those chocolate truffle horses (i have a MAJOR weakness for truffles).

how i wish we were neighbors :)

Liz said...

What a great feast. I was tempted to buy a Krumkake press this year. :}

Anonymous said...

LOVE Cost Plus! I'll have to remember the scones at TJ's. I celebrated St. Lucia Day in the classroom. This year is the first year that my "summer" break falls in Nov/Dec. and I am really missing that many of my holiday traditions included my students.

Coleen said...

What fun! Everything looks so yummy...

jungle dream pagoda said...

What a lovely idea.

Barb said...

Cost Plus is THE best place for stocking stuffers and gift basket goodies. They have a selection of retro candy that's fun.