Pages

Monday, December 04, 2006

Countdown to Christmas (#22)

**The winner of the aprons and recipe tin is Emily S.! Please email your address (thefeltmouse@gmail.com), and I'll get those right out to you!**

So many wonderful Advent calendars out there - I won't even try to link to them all. You all should start a Flickr group. Really beautiful work.

Here's my Advent calendar



It's a very detailed piece of cardstock with beautiful images of animals and flowers, and just a touch of glitter. I bought it at one of my favorite antique stores for 10 cents. The store is one of my faves because every time I go there, I end up buying something that I'm told has been sitting on the shelves forever. The owner says he feels relieved that I am cleaning out his old merchandise, so he takes a percentage off. Either that or he has a crush on me...ew.

This was probably something passed out to parishioners at a church. It has bible verses printed on most of the flaps. I guess you are supposed to read the verses as you count down the days to Christmas. Well, it's nice to think I could potentially satisfy my spiritual needs daily. Though it does kind of interfere with my simultaneous need to eat chocolate daily - a luxury that was afforded to me in previous years with Advent calendars purchased from Trader Joe's.

Truth be told - my dream Advent calendar would be similar to the one in the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Too bad it costs over $400...I guess I'll stick with my church-y paper calendar.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

My kids love the Advent calendar from Christmas vacation.I've been hinting to hubby that I really want the moose mugs, but they're $100.00 a piece. We watch that movie from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas....then we watch the Christmas Story marathon.

jungle dream pagoda said...

I love your paper advent! I had this wonderful vintage walt disney paper advent thrifted for under a dollar,when we loved in Indy. We went home to Dallas for X-mas and then my oldest and I stayed on ,while he went back to work,when we came home he had thrown it away! I still greive the loss of that advent!

telfair said...

That is a great Advent calendar...are those little donkeys on it? Very sweet and it's happy that you found each other in that antique shop.

Sarah and Jack said...

10 cents! I could never find anything in an antique store for 10 cents. (Also, I don't think I have ever seen an advent calendar in the antique store.) I think this little paper one is lovely.