Pages

Friday, December 29, 2006

Clean Slate

Ohhh, Martha - You're January issue for starting the new year with a "clean slate" could not have come at a better time! I am at my wits' end with the state of our house - the clutter, the dirt and grime - a thorough cleaning is definitely in order.

I started with the "pantry"



You will note that this is what normal people use as a kitchen cabinet. We suspect that the real pantry was once where the laundry room is now. Don't get me wrong - I'd sacrifice food storage space for our washer and dryer any day, so that was a good move on somebody's part.



I can't really accumulate much food with such limited space (but I still manage to have lots and lots of cooking wines, vinegars, and oils - hehe), but it was still pretty amazing how much stuff I did manage to get rid of today. The storage containers were a long time coming. No longer will I have to deal with bags and boxes falling over and spilling their contents over everything. And the hang tag labels? Eat your heart out, Martha.



The total kitchen re-do will probably take all weekend. I know - how do we continue to exist in such squalor? The stress and hurry of the holidays put behind me, I can spend a whole day or a whole weekend scrubbing and polishing and organizing. The tools that prove invaluable in this effort: a magic eraser, a toothpick, and a Q-tip. I'm not messing around here, folks. This is what I call fun!

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow! Impressive! I'm not ready for new year's organizing yet. I really like those square plastic containers. Would you share where you purchased them?

Ali said...

The magic eraser is being kept busy here getting the blue crayon off the walls. My 2 year old's idea of entertainment when Mummy is distracted cooking for Christmas - grrr.

Sarah and Jack said...

How funny. I have just spent the past 3 days purging our entire house. Just a little bit more to go! (And boy am I exhausted.)

eviedee said...

A TOOTHPICK?! Wow, that is one clean kitchen! Love the tags! I saw that issue of Martha too, I looked at it as more of a glimpse into the lifestyles of the clean and tidy than a plan for my own kitchen. :)

Cristina said...

oooh damn...you've made me feel a mixture of inspiration & guilt....

whats a girl to do....

it looks great - love the hanging tags.

Barb said...

Okay, you are officially anal, lol. If it makes you smile, then you just keep on going, but expect complete disarray at my house (although I have been known to use a toothbrush on grout).
I call it in keeping with my artistic side ;)

leslie said...

i will be with you in spirit, i have already told everyone they need to clear out early tomorrow and not to come back unless they want to help (or risk getting seriously yelled at if they get in my way). I mean business too!! :)

Liz said...

I need for you to come to Maine and do my place!

I noticed the Ibarra Mexican Chocolate in the corner. YUM!

Have A Happy New Year!!

Miss Bliss said...

I will sing the praises of the magic eraser any day, I have white cabinets and small children, enough said. By the way, I ENVY your salt spoon!!!!!!

Oh and thanks for the holiday well wishes, hope yours were fantastic too!

elizabeth said...

as soon as i get in the new house, i plan on having everything as orgazized as humanly possible {and keep it that way too!}.

love what you've done with the pantry and can't wait to see what else you get accomplished.

jungle dream pagoda said...

Happy New Year,I shall be adressing my own good chi busting ways this year!!!