Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2006

TOO November ~ Apron and a Recipe

* Update - I used butter flavored Crisco, and they turned out amazing - hope you enjoy this recipe as well!*

November's theme for Tie One On is to share an existing apron and a recipe.

Here's my apron ~



This is an Ebay purchase from a few years ago. Every stitch on it is flawless, as many aprons from back in the day were made. The stripes at the bottom are bias tape, and the cross stitch work is amazing. This is my "everyday" apron, the one I wear to wash dishes, and cook with if the meal involves something powdery or splattery.

And here's my recipe ~


(Do you see the camels? Love!!)

Grandma's Spritz Cookie Recipe

1 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. almond extract
food coloring (optional)

1) Cream shortening, add sugar gradually.

2) Add egg, sifted dry ingredients, flavoring, and a few drops of food coloring. Mix well.

3) Fill press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet using the template. Decorate with tiny candies.

4) Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes. Transfer cookies from sheet to wire rack at once.

I was asked by a few Flickr users for a press cookie recipe after posting this pic. At one time I had a couple of recipes from my Grandma and Great Aunt that were given to me at my bridal shower. You recall that I have now turned into the one that loses things? I looked every logical place, but just could not find these recipe cards. I just recently finally broke down and humbly ask Mom if she could pass the recipes my way one more time.

The horrible thing is - since I didn't have Grandma's recipe for the last few years and was too ashamed to ask for it, I have been using the spritz recipe in Betty Crocker that is butter based and...I think I like it a little better than the shortening version. I'm so sorry, Grandma! But I will be true and make some cookies in the a.m. following your recipe and will update this post.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

I love spritz! My grandma made them too, and I used to use her recipe...then I found one that used cream cheese and they're delicious. Now if I could just remember where I put it!
Great apron!

Amy said...

A camel spritz! OH MY - how awesome. And your apron is lovely too. I love that you wear and old apron for every day.

elizabeth said...

i will sooo be using this recipe. i have one of those spitz and have never used it. now that i see these, i wanna use em, but its all boxed up {sniff sniff}