Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A recipe ~ Pink Salad

Well, it's probably too late to consider any new recipes for your Thanksgiving meal, but keep this in mind for future holiday events.



~ Pink Salad ~
(for 10-12)

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 16 oz jars Maraschino* cherries (no stems - cut in half; reserve juice)
* 1 package mini marshmallows
* 1 1/2 8 oz package of cream cheese (nearly room temperature)
* 1 1/2 containers Cool Whip whipped topping

~ Mash cream cheese and 2 tbls of Maraschino cherry juice in a bowl until pretty well blended. Add marshmallows and cherries. Stir. Add whipped topping and gently stir until combined. Try not to break apart cherries or marshmallows.

That's it! Some people add pineapple chunks, or pecans, but this is the way we like ours.

My Mom made the batch above. It's so nice to have her here as my sous chef. She helped me wrangle the turkey out of its brining bag, and offered encouragement to get the tiny little scrap of dough I reserved from the pie crust dough cut out into tiny leaf shapes. Encouragement in our family usually takes the form of sarcasm and laughter, and I was right there with her. We now have a good start for tomorrow's feast.

Oh, and we lost one guest, and then gained two more + three nephews. Eek! We won't have as many leftovers, but we should have enough food for everyone. Cute story - I called my SIL and let her know about the change in plans. I told her I hoped that it didn't ruin her plans for the food she was bringing. She said probably not - she had planned to make 48 rolls (this is when she thought only 8 people were coming - you know - 6 rolls per person?) She seemed hesitant on the point, though, and I won't be surprised if she brings more rolls after all. I may be an honorary Mormom hostess, but my SIL is the real deal!

~ Continued ~



I'm sure it's not surprising that what I am thankful for today is Mom. She has always been there for me, even when I thought I didn't want her to be. My mentor, my friend, my confidante. Thank you for everything.
And you too, Dad, of course!I love you both.

* the word suggestion for "Maraschino" in spell check is marijuana. hehe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family made pink salad too. Though it was made with cherry pie filling, coconut, pineapple and pecans mixed into cool whip. So a little different. I might need to make some for Christmas. :D
Enjoy your rolls with your side of Thanksgiving dinner! :D

eviedee said...

My favorite color-in salad form, awesome!
Have a wonderful holiday with your family! The food...the decorations, how could you not have a good time?!

telfair said...

This is great. Your mom is so lovely! And the pink salad is making me hungry as I sit here in my pajamas, pre-coffee, pre-breakfast.

6 rolls per person?!?