Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

More Preparations



BT (from kitchen): Wow - look at all of this food!


Me (from office): Oh, yeah -- Hey, Babe? Don't eat anything, ok?

The Menu:

~ Brined turkey (using WS Brining Blend and recipe included in October/November Home Companion)
~ Sage, sausage and apple dressing
~ Ultimate holiday giblet gravy (from Home Companion)
~ Praline sweet potatoes (recipe on the can - I was warned not to mess with this one - not even to try using fresh sweet potatoes)
~ French-style green beans (also from HC - I am breaking tradition with this one by not using French-fried onion bits and congealed mushroom soup. Will people forgive me?)
~ Corn and wild rice pudding (an experiment)
~ Cranberry sauce (once you make your own, you'll never go back. The same is probably true for sweet potatoes. I'll see how the green beans go over this year.)
~ Pink salad (family favorite - will share recipe tomorrow!)
~ World's most complicated pumpkin pie
~ and mashed potatoes, rolls, and pecan pie, courtesy of my SIL

~Continued~

For today's thing I am thankful for, I take you to the side of the fridge.


Here I display all of the pictures we receive via snail mail (usually for Christmas, as you can see). These are cousins, kids of cousins, kids of my friends from college, kids of BT's friends from high school, and, of course, our adorable nieces and nephews. There is also one of us to the left, and Chuy, looking like he has been stuffed and mounted on Santa's lap (that was not a good day for Chuy, or Santa's dry-clean only suit)

Every day I see these pictures and am thankful we have such wonderful little people in our lives. I know my Mom will hate to read this, but I have nearly lost that burning desire to have my own. But - I can't imagine life without kids in it. Does that make any sense? Regardless, I am thankful for the time I get to spend with tomorrow's leaders, and seeing the world through a child's eyes.

6 comments:

crazycatladymel said...

Because of my mood, I'm longing to reach into your picture and snatch out that six-pack of root beer. It looks delish!

I don't know what's on the menu (my aunt's in charge this year), but I'm making crockpot corn pudding and the cranberry sauce (you know, chill, open, slice, serve).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Anyway I can get the recipe for giblet gravy? I've never known how to make it. It kind of grossed me out once I found out what it was. :D But my husband wants it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Barb said...

I heard brined turkey is amazing. The rootbeer caught my eye too!
Giblet gravy: check out melindalee.com

jungle dream pagoda said...

You are for sure the hostess with the mostess! You know what children need amazing aunts and uncles too!One of my favorite childless aunts was a huge influence on me!

telfair said...

It makes perfect sense to me.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Barb said...

I'm going thru your posts again (ah, the better to get to know you, my friend) and I think it's interesting that the cranberry sauce indicates blueberries as an optional extra. I want to try different variations. I heart cranberries!