Pages

Friday, November 24, 2006

Leftovers

Nothing significant to say about them, except that I was the only one that ate them today. How can that be?

~ Continued ~



Today's things to be thankful for are my eyes. My terrible, terrible eyes. Nobody has asked about the glasses but yes, I wear them all the time. I started wearing contacts when I was 11 years old, and wore them consistently until about 4 years ago.

As years went by, my vision got exponentially worse. It got to the point that by the end of the day, my eye muscles were so worn out that my eyes would try to close on their own. Various optometrists gave different reasons for this, including living in a smoggy area, or looking at a computer screen for too long during the day.

Finally, my current eye doctor nonchalantly gave me a prescription for a special type of glasses, and recommended that I not wear contacts anymore. He didn't really explain what was going on, but I just went with it. My first time putting on the glasses, I thought the doctor was nuts - I could not see anything except a scramble. Then, just as I was about to take the glasses off, I felt my left eye's vision track "roll" into place.

I was seeing a single image for the first time in probably 10 years! I didn't even realize that I had been seeing double for all that time. My brain had kind of adapted to it, I guess. But, that is why my eye muscles got so tired. I have a condition called hypertropia. It is similar to a "lazy eye," except my eye looks up instead of to the side. I have worn glasses ever since that day. I don't have cute vintage frames, or anything trendy. In fact, I get the type of glasses that come with a magnetic sunglass piece that fit on the front (dork!) so I don't have to mess around with two pairs of glasses.

The surgery is not perfected to treat this condition. Even if I had laser surgery to correct my bad vision (which does not get as bad anymore from year to year), I would still have to wear glasses with prisms in them to correct my line of sight. Regardless, I could KISS my eye doctor right on the mouth for making this diagnosis!

My glasses are my most important physical object in this world. I feel very frightened and vulnerable without them. My ability to see at all times is so very important to me. Next time you are at a stoplight, turn off your radio, and sit there. You can hardly hear anything - a hum from the car. You can feel the steering wheel and seat beneath you. There is hardly any smell, and you are not tasting anything. But, look around you. You can see hundreds if not thousands of things all at once. They may not be the best eyes - I will never be an airline pilot. But, they get me by in this world. And, occasionally somebody tells me they are pretty!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know your apron's on it's way (expect it Tuesday)! I love it and I'm crossing my fingers that you will, too! I today (after I sealed and sent the package) realize I broke a rule (the recipe cards aren't embellished) but I really think you'll like them for your party! I'm so sorry about that!

Alicia P. said...

Your eyes are beautiful, and even more so with your new(ish) glasses.

Wow, Jen. I kind of know how you must feel. If I didn't have my special shoe, I could not take one step.

Cristina said...

interesting story, i've never heard of that condition. and creative to choose your eyes to be thankful for.

julia said...

Hi. I'm new to the blogging community and I love your eyes. Love the picture. Very insightful to be thankful for your eyes!

Anonymous said...

That was a great picture, Jennifer! You do have pretty eyes :) I know how you feel, having had to wear glasses since primary school. A nasty girl stole and hid them one day and I nearly cried :p And it's so easy to feel sorry for yourself, until you think, well, I'm healthy and happy and at least I can SEE, albeit with glasses, and then you see (hehe) everything's not so bad after all!

I concur with the laser surgery, I'm in a high risk group too, and apart from myopia and astigmatism, my eyes are quite healthy. Why risk blindness on a procedure with no long-term clinical studies, when (reversible) optical aids are getting better and better?

Sorry for the long post!

woof nanny said...

I don't know how I missed this before. How fascinating Jen! Just goes to show how important it is to find the right doctor.
Sight is important to me too. Lots of blindness in my family due to macular degeneration, so I'm praying doctors will find a cure before it happens to me