Pages

Friday, October 06, 2006

What's Cookin' Apron Swap ~ Holiday Hostessing Meme

For the What's Cookin' apron swap. Dear Swap Partner - This is going to be a lot of fun! Please regard the information below as general guidelines. Really, if an idea popped in your head as soon as the swap was announced, I want you to go with it! I think just about every swap I have participated in, I get a lightning bolt idea, and then I read my swap partner's likes/dislikes, and my idea ends up no bueno. On the other side of the coin, I know there are people that want a lot of info about their partner so they make them the right thing, so I hope if you are that type, I don't leave you hanging. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness, no matter what you make!

1. what kind of holiday party food do you like best? finger food buffet or sit down multi-course style? Typically for Christmas, we eat finger foods for Christmas Eve, and then have a sit-down meal for Christmas day. If I make Christmas dinner, it usually has a theme. Here was our dinner from last year.

2. do you make/use those little name cards for your table seating or is that just another little something that magazines are trying to add to our already long holiday to-do list? I make name cards for Thanksgiving, but I guess by the time Christmas rolls around, I am pretty burned out. I usually decorate the table, though, if there is a theme. (I like themes, if you haven't noticed)

3. do you miss sitting at the "kid's table"? I really enjoy now setting up the kid's table. I like to come up with little craft projects to do while they are waiting to eat. The kids in our family are a little young, though, so they don't really stay at the kid's table - they just bring the craft projects over to do with their parents.

4. any particular holiday party traditions that you like to do every year? Every year has been a little different as we try to share time between my husband's family and mine. One tradition we hope to continue with BT's family is to have Santa Claus visit on Christmas Eve. Last year, half of our nieces and nephews burst into tears when BT dressed as Santa came into the room. But, this year should be less traumatic, as they are a little older. We also usually play that game where you take turns rolling dice and if you get a certain number, you get a present. Then, you play another round to steal the opened gifts. The gifts are usually pretty hilarious, and almost always include whatever the latest animatronic toy for that year is (Billy Bass, The Kung Fu Hamster, etc.)

5. Which is your favorite winter holiday? I wish I was sophisticated enough to say Winter Solstice or something, but no - Christmas has it hands down. I still get excited to open gifts, and get even more excited now to see people's reactions when they open gifts from me. Christmas seems like a magical time to me, and I still have a hard time sleeping the night before.

6. do you make or have you tasted any good egg nog recipes...whether using it in a dish or as a drink? I think my experience with egg nog is pretty limited to the type they sell in the carton. I like Starbuck's egg nog latte. I may have tried an egg nog cheesecake once - can't remember. Oh, and I've found adding a shot of rum to your glass of egg nog is a good way to keep your sanity if 20+ people are in your 1100 square-foot one bathroom house for a holiday event.


7. fruit cake .... do you love it or think it should be used as a door stop? I think it would be interesting to make it just one time, but the stigma behind it prevents most people (myself included) from really liking the stuff.

8. What do you like to do to get yourself in the holiday spirit (i.e.. certain music, visiting certain seasonal sites, enjoying winter weather, etc.) Probably the standard things here: watching Christmas movies, listening to Christmas music, driving around to look at lights. I make a themed Christmas tree each year (see the last two years' trees here), so I get in the holiday spirit making the decorations for that. We don't really do a lot to the outside of the house. I also make a lot of Christmas gifts, though sometimes the cursing that ensues draws the holiday spirit right out of me.

9. What is your favorite holiday song and who sings it best? I love Ave Maria - don't really have a favorite singer, but as long as whoever singing it gives me chills, it's a winner.

10. Any ideas for interesting holiday themed parties? (Even if it's really out there -- like renting a snow machine and having everyone build snowmen if you live in a no-snow areas!) Well, I guess I am letting the cat out of the bag, but probably nobody but my partner read through all of this (are you even still there, partner?) - but this year's theme at our house is kind of interesting and out there: A White Trash Christmas. Our tree will be decorated accordingly, and dinner will consist of Beer Butt Chicken, and various side dishes. If you have any ideas that go along with that theme, it might be kind of fun.

Well, that's about it. I did want to provide you with a couple of other factoids just in case you want them. One thing that is odd - despite having a collection of vintage and new aprons, and ones I make myself for Tie One On, I do not have a full length bib-style apron. And, here are a couple of pictures from our kitchen, just so you can get an idea about my general style. Please keep in mind, though, that none of my aprons match color-wise, and that's fine by me.





Have fun!! Your Swap Partner, Jennifer

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't know if I'm your partner, but your kitchen sure is cute!

Gina said...

I love your kitchen!!!

Coleen said...

Cool kitchen, and I second that about chills and songs! That's what I love, too. I also don't know if I'm your swap partner, but wanted to drop a hello!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I'll have to remember that shot of rum for the egg nog...a sure fire stress reliever huh?

BT.. stop scarring the children!