Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tie One On October - Apron as a Costume

We did end up going to a costume party after all on Saturday. I found out about it at 3:00 Saturday afternoon (which happens when guys are left to make plans). I ran to Walmart, and searched the decimated costume aisle for something that would cover bow and stern. I found a Renaissance style wig for $8.00. No costumes, though. I flew through the clothing section, and found a skirt with bell sleeves, and then found one of the infamous sew the back seam skirts in the fabric section that was velvet and floor length. That and a clearance priced necklace draped at my waist, and I think I looked pretty decent for a last minute effort (and the clothes can be worn again - bonus!)

Not that it mattered. All the women at the party were a "sexy" version of something - sexy nurse, sexy police officer, sexy cat. Even some of the men got in the act. One guy was wearing Speedos and a vine and not much else. I guess Halloween really helps people let go of their inhibitions.

If I thought Renaissance Makeshift Princess was not sexy, imagine how I would have felt in this get-up



I'm Pippi Longstocking - hehe - get it?



I tried pretty hard to get the outfit right, but in the end for this month's TOO theme, I just look like a big goof. I made the yarn wig (badly), added lace to the shirt and cropped the sleeves, have two different stockings on (one brown and one black), and two different laces tied in black men's shoes. It is with great hesitation that I submit this to TOO. Here's to hopin' that I won't be the only adult in the bunch.

Here's the back



This apron/jumper is
a really cool style, though (from my secret Japanese craft book again). It is just two panels, and the back ties in the front (under the front), and then the back wraps around slightly to tie in the back. Genius! Made from blue thick corduroy with the flower and patches added.

Oh, the GINORMOUS painting in the background? BT's find at the thrift store while I was picking out the shirt, skirt, and shoes for this costume. It's not tiki themed, but I must admit it looks pretty awesome in the room that houses our tiki bar. Pippi's dad was a sailor, so that's the tie in for the purposes of this picture (if it's been awhile since you read the book). And that's Mr. Nilsson, her monkey.

Please send me a cyber pat on the back for trying...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, that is so fabulous. I think I love you.

crazycatladymel said...

Outrageous! Perfect, just perfect!

Miss Bliss said...

Oh my Pippi you are just toooooo cute and love the costume! Great job!

Dorie said...

You look great! Yay, Pippi.

Mary Ann said...

I think its right on the money and something Pippi herself would have pulled out of the closet! great job!

deb said...

Oh my gosh - Pippi was my idol!! You look so cute.

jungle dream pagoda said...

Love it!

eviedee said...

This is so rad! I ADORE your Pippi outfit!

Liz said...

I looooove it!!

Christina said...

Oh I LOVE your apron, it's very cute!! Great job!!

janelle said...

i love love love your costume! love pippi! i may have use your smock pattern as inspiration, i love it!

elizabeth said...

okay, i think your pippi look is friggin' awesome and i sooo would have worn that to the party!

a. said...

hi! i just discovered your blog through posie's. oh my god, i love your pippy longstocking costume! love. i use to be obsessed with those books as a child. :-) bookmarked!

Barb said...

Woohoo, you made the TOO front page even! See, we shouldn't doubt ourselves.

Gina said...

Aw, how cute. I love Pipi! You look so great.