Pages

Monday, August 21, 2006

Mapron, Revisited

Remember the February Tie One On theme, the Mapron? And remember that BT (the hubby) was passe about being the recipient of a mapron? Imagine my surprise when he specifically asked for a mapron to use BBQing! I think he was inspired by the fabric, found during a trip to the mega-super-you-wouldn't-believe-it-unless-you-saw-it M&L Fabrics in Anaheim. I figure he deserves anything he asks for, considering he has taken over about half of the cooking 'round here.

So here's my man in his new mapron* (with matching potholder - hot mitts will be coming shortly once I acquire some more insul-brite)



Pollo asado - mmmmm....



The mapron was made using this pattern



found through one of two apron pattern thrift scores (i.e. multiple patterns found during one trip). They are usually always 60s/70s patterns, but I feel lucky to be the recipient of so may *older* apron patterns for 39 cents each.

I didn't pay too much attention to the lettering on "Bob" and "Carol's" aprons, but imagine my surprise when I found these babies inside the envelope - unused!



Sweet mother of 70s iron-on transfers! It will be such a dilemma to decide what phrase I should plaster across my chest. There's the obvious, "Jennifer"... Then there are the 70s throwbacks - "Keep on Truckin'" or "Hang Loose" or "Can you dig IT!" The possibilities are really endless...

but you'll be the first ones to know when I decide.

*I think he forgot I was blogging again, or he'd never have let me take this picture. Ok - so it's a little more on the cute than manly side, but hey - it got the job done!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I loved M&L when I lived in LA! I had to bring a friend along to help pull out fabric choices amongst the heaps.

Are the ladies still crabby?

Jennifer said...

Oh, yes, Carol - they are still a grouchy crew. In trying to wrestle a bolt from the bottom of one of the perfectly stacked columns, a woman flew over to take over, and gave me a look of pity - for being such a simpleton, I suppose, as she was able to get the bolt out without a struggle.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, I've never seen that pattern! I like the little one. Will have to do an ebay search...
I still owe you that letter. I'm trying to retrieve the original but am clueless on how to open a document on a Mac. I was trying not to start all over...