Pages

Saturday, May 27, 2006

May Tie One On ~ Smock to Wear Out

**A couple of updated pics added taken at Cabrillo Beach, San Pedro. Please ignore any trash and/or graffiti that you see in the background. Cabrillo is, let's just say, and urban beach**

Here's my smock for the May TOO



Detail of collar (wonder of all wonders - my sewing machine broke last night! Just disintegrated in front of my eyes. Maybe it wasn't me having the troubles after all. Anyway, without a machine, I had time to embroider along the collar)



It was made using this pattern



which I suspect is similar in shape to the ones Amy referred to as "shapely" and "runs the risk of looking like a big sack." We shall see. I will have my out in public photo shoot early next week, and I'll see if I can pull this off, or if I just look like I made my escape from the ER (see below and make the call).


A note about wearing a smock made from this pattern. If you make the short-sleeved version, it is required that you have a short bobbed or bowl haircut and wear a turtleneck. Honest. No exceptions. Not just 'cause that is how the model in the picture is dressed, as she is merely following the rules of how to wear a 70s style smock, and that's just the way it is. The version with sleeves may be worn with a jaunty scarf (optional).

I wish I had videotaped myself making the smock today. It would have made a good sitcom, if anyone were interested in watching a show about a girl sewing a smock. Well, maybe an entry on America's Funniest Home Videos. Oh, who am I kidding. Nobody would want to watch something like that, but the construction of the smock truly was a comedy of errors. My sewing chi was definitely off today. I think I sewed every seam at least twice, and just made some weird mistakes that I couldn't even figure out what I did. I even ran out of white thread. Who runs out of white thread? I thought I had another spool on hand, but I didn't. Maybe somebody or something was telling me that there were better things to do on a beautiful Saturday of Memorial Day weekend than sew a smock.

Here are the "out and about" pics:







Verdict: A smock is great to wear to the beach for collecting shells! A little too billowy, though, to take a figure flattering picture. Just in case there are any Seashellologists out there - no - these shells did not come from here, but rather from a beach in Baja California. I don't think anything would voluntarily live anywhere near this beach.

One last thing. I wanted to share the inspiration for the colors/fabric. I finally got to watch Memoirs of a Geisha (read husband was not home to moan and groan about being made to watch a chick flick), and I loved this outfit



I considered bleaching the fabrics a la Martha to get the faded look here, but wasn't feeling that adventurous. Well, now I can see the colors are nothing like this picture, so I'm sorry I even brought it up...

12 comments:

Pink Rocket said...

it's pretty!!! now, in your photos will you be wearing a turtleneck or the jaunty scarf?

Gina said...

Oh sew, super sweet! Love it.

Megan said...

Like the lavender colour. Looking forward to the out-in-public shot. I lost my sewing machine so won't be making my TOO this month. I never quite got the smock thing anyhow. The bob and turtle neck explanation makes it all clear.

Must watch Memoirs of a Geisha. She looks haunted in a very melancholic beauty sort of way.

Beekeebear said...

Pretty! I like the choice of trim fabrics!

telfair said...

Your husband & my husband have a lot in common...

my house is cuter than yours said...

your smock and it's colors are waaay better than the ones on the pattern!

Pink Rocket said...

oh it's just lovely!!! i really like it!

Emy said...

It's very pretty!
I don't think I will be able to make one this month but I am going to try to do the pot holder challenge. I know I'm waiting for the last minute but I'll still try. I have a really interesting idea for it.

Sara said...

Hi,

I've just recently found your blog and had to comment on your smock. I lived in Japan as a girl and we have several aprons like your smocks from out time there. Japanese housewives wore/wear (I worked in Japan for a few years after college) them around the house. Solid colors with embelishments - e.g. lace, embroidery are the norm. We used to call them mama-san aprons and I wear mine for cooking all the time - provides great coverage for a messy cook! Anyway, thought you might like the Japanese connection given your color inspiration! Very nice job on the smock.

Gina said...

And I would watch the video! You look so lovely.

my house is cuter than yours said...

i can totally see Memoirs of a Geisha in your smock comparing the 'new out and about' pic's to the movie image! Love the middle pic best!

Alicia P said...

Even without the Toni Tenille, you look absolutely adorable in your smock. I love it.