Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hey, is this still a craft blog?

Not much creative coming out of this lady as of late. Not sure why. Looking back at the last several months, I can see I get more craft-oriented around the holidays. After Easter, the craft has been a little scarce around these parts. Mother's Day - I totally flaked out and bought gifts for my Mom and MIL. Though, the gift for my mom involved a cheesemaking kit, which implies a future "craft" endeavor for us both (another Food and Wine find, recommended by the wonderful author Barbara Kingsolver, you know, Poisonwood Bible? who enjoys making cheese with her daughters - It sounds like fun, and supposedly not too hard, and I'd encourage you to check out the kits over here, if you're interested)

Last week I was traipsing around J. Caroline for a purse handle to complete this purse, and saw a free pattern for a peasant skirt. This is reminiscent of the cute girl-sized tiered skirts designed by 3 peas, less flared, I think though. Seeing an adult pattern all laid out saved me from doing any *complicated* conversions to change Rebecca's into something for me (really, her tutorial is very straightforward - I just saw math and kind of went blank).

So, I headed off to Tall Mouse for fabric, which I always thought was quite like Hobby Lobby, until I visited a HL during my recent trip. I liked it, but I must admit I was a little distracted by all the home decor items (clocks, wicker trunks, mirrors, lamps, etc.) Seeing all of that stuff plus all the craft supplies kind of overwhelmed me, and I couldn't really stay too long to explore all the different departments. I guess you have to be in the mindset to accept something new, and not having a HL anywhere near here, I couldn't justify investing the time to learn more about it.

Back to the peasant skirt. I picked out 4 fabrics at Tall Mouse, and here's the final product



I just heard half a dozen jaws hitting the computer table. Yes, that is Denyse Schmidt fabric, and I probably broke 8 of the 10 Cardinal Rules of Quilting by using it for a silly little skirt. But, just think - I'll only wear the skirt through the Spring and Summer, and then there will be plenty of fabric to use for an eventual quilt. Relax.

**Quizzical Results**

Thank you all for your funny and surprisingly accurate responses to the May Quizzical. Yes, it is true - I am an only child. Those are cousins in the picture (Dad's side - I resemble him more than my Mom, weird, huh?) I really appreciate Gina and Heather's dedication to read through all my blather to come to that conclusion. I thought initially I'd get more responses like Rebecca's, and perhaps the deleted comment? that only an only child would talk about themselves so much (it is all about me, isn't it?*). But, I think the Happy Pack this month will go to Megan, who concocted the type of fantasy I used to imagine for myself when I was embarrassed to be highlighted as the only only child in my 2nd grade class when we were assigned to write/draw a story about our family. And she came to correct conclusion in the end. I'm being facetious about the only child thing. Really, I didn't know any different, and I'm sure there is good and bad about any family arrangement. Oh, and I married into a BIG family (hence all the nieces and nephews), which has been tons of fun for me to get used to, you know, not being the center of everything.

Congratulations, Megan! And thank you all for your comments.

*I have to add this as a side note, or I'll have trouble sleeping tonight. Really, I don't intend the quizzicals to be so me-focused - I just try to think of things that can't easily be searched online, like movie quotes. But, you guys are too smart for me anyway - I don't think there is anything I could put that would stump you!

9 comments:

Megan said...

YAY FOR ME! I want to thank (insert sound of gag being placed over my mouth and images of me being dragged unwillingly off stage).

Pink Rocket said...

ooh! the skirt! i saw that fabric line in person the other day and let me tell ya, i want it all! the pink with the littl black leaf like stripes is calling me to make a skirt from it!

Gina said...

Congrats to megan! Happy, happy, joy, joy to you! Can't wait to see what you get, even if it does hurt me because it will be so cute : )

telfair said...

I LOVE your skirt...again, now that you have me hooked on knitting, I think I have to start sewing next, if only so I can someday add to my wardrobe in the fabulous ways that you're able to.

Emy said...

That skirt is awesome! I love the fabrics so much and they look so great together. I plan on buying some for an Amy Butler pattern, (yeah I know, mixing designers!!!)
I was just joking about you being an only child, but it looks like I was right. That's funny. :D

Barb said...

Lol, I love the way this was written. Poisonwood Bible is one of my favorite books of all time. I posted this week about Prodigal Summer--also excellent. Fun skirt too! I need to make one.

Gina said...

Your skirt looks great!

hannah said...

what? you mean you arent supposed to use quilt fabric for skirts? even for a skirt that cute?? hmm...

my house is cuter than yours said...

your skirt looks great! i say use what ever fabric you like for what ever project you want to! If some fabric snobs want to rumble about it we can meet down at the HobLob after hours and get our 'stitching' on!