Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Good girl

Here's my Hot Mitt Monthly Challenge entry for May, "Anything Flower"



Here's the pattern, and more about Liz's fun monthly potholder challenge.

I think the challenge is supposed to be "Anything Flower Potholder," but I was feeling hot mitty this month. I wanted to use some fabric on hand (novel idea), and the floral fabric from this thrift score kind of spoke to me. I initially thought I would use the fabric for an apron, but I'm happy with it in use as another kitchen textile.

It's pretty amazing how much fabric it takes to make hot mitts and potholders - more than you would expect, or at least, more than I expect. I've short-counted myself a couple of times during HMM. Of course, any sewing accident means another (happy) trip to the fabric store, and more temptation to scrap my original fabric idea and go with something *better.* I'm trying a little experiment lately to utilize my stash more for projects before rushing off to the fabric store. But it's so hard not to buy something new for a specific project!! And you know darn well that even if you don't need it right now, a project is going to come up where you wish you had a certain fabric, and you go to see if the fabric store still has it, and it is sold out. So, isn't it better just to buy some when you see it and avoid all that stress?

I was very good today. I did buy some extra of the blue stripe to complete the mitts, and I only bought this one quarter flat



Now, forget everything I just said about restraint. Has anybody seen this fabric at Joann on the bolt? I noticed some of their flats were also bolts...but I didn't see this particular one...I hoped to see this one on the bolt...I need more...really...just a yard or two and then I'll be ok...maybe even just half a yard - enough to make something...I don't know what...I just need it, you know...for my stash...I mean...it's for a friend....

Spoken like a true junkie. But seriously, if anyone does see this on the bolt, I would be very happy to find out about it, and we can arrange some type of exchange? Hopefully you can see enough detail in the pic. It doesn't have any selvages with a name or anything, of course. The price tag abbreviates the name as "Yellow Asst."

Though, any assistance you provide me would make you an enabler...

10 comments:

Gina said...

I love your mitts, the fabric combination is so clever and cute. They are so sweet.
I wouldn't have known about the amount of fabric it takes! I love those urgent trips to the fabric store too : ) And I know what you mean. There are so many cute and sweet fabrics out there that they make it hard to resist!
LOL, that's funny about your stash, I mean friend.

Handmade Girl said...

Call me co-dependent... I'll check my JoAnn's, as that is a normal stop once a week.

hannah said...

oooh i will have to keep my eye out for that print. what is the print behind it? brown with small white dots? i need that! oh, i mean, uh, a friend needs that...

Deborah said...

Your mitts are beautiful, Jennifer!

chanadaal said...

Very nice mitts! I so desperately need a pair myself. As soon as this #$%^&% thesis is done there will be sooo much crafting going on here! And I totally hear you about the fabric obsession/addiction. I am managing to keep a thin veneer of respectability about me but one day soon my fabric trunk and closet are going to explode and expose my shame to the world.

Pink Rocket said...

ok, i'm an admitted joann's junkie. i'm in there at least 2-3 times a week...ok, so one week it was everyday! yesterday i was there 2 times!

i'm gone through every fabric in the place and have not seen that fabric!! now i MUST HAVE IT!! you might be able to order it from them.

ok, so i guess i'm going back to joann's today!

Megan said...

I'd enable your fabric addiction if I could. If there can be such a thing as a good addiction, that is it. The world needs more fabric, it just does. In particular, the world in my sewing closet.

Cool mitts.

Jessica said...

I recognize that fabric because it's in my stash..I think I got it at Hancocks but they are out of it now. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-MB-129-183-D.html

The name on the selvedge is Aunt Grace Scrap Bag 2005 from the collection of Judy Rothermel for Marcus Brothers Textiles.

Good luck if you hunt for it!

Amy said...

Mits are excellent.
Fabric stashes rule - I am learning to embrace mine (see yesterday's post :-)) Glad someone was able to track down more of that awesome dotty fabric. I am learning to buy more than a fat quarter if I really like it -- otherwise it will stay in the stash forever cause there isn't enough to use!

Liz said...

I agree with Deborah
Your mitts are beautiful Jennifer!