Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Tie One On ~ Yellow and White

Here's my yellow and white apron for April's Tie One On


(Grass color slightly enhanced - we wish it looked that healthy! Flowers are real - though some would consider them to be weeds...)


(Reading Sweet Maria's Cake Kitchen)


(Beautiful red door courtesy of our neighbors - I think I owe them some of Amy's recommended lemon bars now)

Detail of fabric and trim


(You sewing aficionados will probably recognize that the trim is on top of the binding. It lost too much detail putting it underneath, and it just made the whole process easier overall to put it on top)

The pattern is from Simplicity 8720, which contains a bunch of retro aprons. I tried to buy the original pattern for this design on Ebay, but there was an apron lover (perhaps one of you all?) bidding against me, and I cannot imagine what her max bid was, as we went well over $10 (if it was you, sorry for jacking the price up on ya - hope you enjoy the pattern!)

I'm not going to lie - it was not made with fabric I already had, as I'm sure many submissions will be this month. But, as mentioned, I did not made that commitment for April. I may for May, though...still deciding.

The fabric and trim were, however, the exact same as those purchased by a dear friend who is just starting to sew that I went fabric shopping with a few months ago. She purchased a few fabrics that day with the intent to use at least one (or all of them, she wasn't sure) for an apron. She has also expressed an interest in participating in TOO once she gets more comfortable using her machine.

When April's theme was announced, this fabric jumped to my mind. The bestest best friend would have probably told her friend about the theme (she knows about the website, but is not a very computer-oriented person), and encouraged her friend to try her hand at making her first apron with the golden poppy fabric, and went and found another yellow and white fabric to use for her own submission. A best friend (my status, I believe) would go out and buy the same exact fabric and make an apron, but give it to this friend of hers - which I plan on doing shortly, along with other goodies that I think she will enjoy. Besides, we just found this friend is three months pregnant, so she has way better things to do besides making aprons!

18 comments:

Jessica said...

very nice apron! i love the pic in front of the red door.

elizabeth said...

it is beeeee-utiful!!! i haven't participated in so long...maybe this summer things will settle down (yeah righ) and i can break out the sewing machine and do another one.

Liz said...

Your apron came out great!!

Pink Rocket said...

oh! i've missed the last 2! your apron is perrrttty! i like the way the pics look all "enhanced"

Cat said...

Fabulous apron! Looks smashing in front of the red door.

Emy said...

Your apron is gorgeous! You should make it a skirt instead! And wear it over jeans because it looks great!
I think this month's challenge will be difficult.

my house is cuter than yours said...

lovely apron and fab photo!

Di said...

I love the pics of the apron and the grass- even if it's colour enhanced. It screams Summer!

Julie said...

great apron and great pics!

creative kismet said...

Your apron is fabulous! I love the green grass picture. Very cool!

Anna said...

Cute apron, BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!!!!!!

trudesign said...

Cute apron, where in the world did you find that grass too? With the little yellow flowers?

Living Part Deux said...

Well, I just love your apron - fabric, trim, pattern - all of it. And it brings back so many memories of making aprons years ago. Now I wish I had kept all those Simplicity and Butterick patterns - I'd sell them and go on a cruise or something! Who knew someone might want them one day?

*jenny said...

Yummy!!!!

stephanie s said...

what a great apron, and lovely photo....well done.

~vicki said...

this really sings "spring" to me. lovely job!!

moki said...

And it's so flattering to wear! Great job!

Patricia said...

What a cute apron and lovely pictures!! Very inspiring! I have been enjoying the fun you guys have creating new aprons each month and I guess it's time for me to join the fun...
If it's ok with you I'll link you to my blog... so I can visit often.