Pages

Monday, April 10, 2006

Strike Two and Three

**Emy got it! It's Mrs. Beasley. A little before my time, and I suspect some of yours as well...The Mrs. Beasley shown in the pic was actually a replacement - I destroyed the original one that had belonged to my Mom. I did quite a number on Mrs. Beasley II as well, if I recall. Guess it's no wonder that I didn't have any little dollies to dress up for TOO last month! Congrats, Emy! Happy Pack forthcoming!**

Again, I cannot bring myself to show you pics of failed projects (see previous post for strike one). Two failures, this time, and on a night I am supposed to be working on a big something that has nothing whatsoever to do with Easter. But, striving to be an over-achiever, I got it in my head to make some Easter baked goods tonight (I really thought I could do it all!) I started with some egg-shaped mini cakes using a pan from Target with designs embossed in it that would transfer to the baked cakes. The cakes came out pretty good (i.e. you could see the design of the eggs on all of them). I piped in some filling - so far so good.

Then, the ganache icing. I had never used it before, and under-estimated its properties based on the simplicity of the recipe (bittersweet chocolate and heavy cream). They always make it look so easy on the cooking shows - it just pours on and drips off the side of the cake and looks smooth and perfect! Well, either my proportions of the two ingredients were off, or I let it cool too long. No dripping off the sides. Maneuvering the icing with the offset spatula made things worse. They looked so bad I did not even bother with piping on the little details I had planned. Oh, and the ganache was sitting so thick on the cakes you could no longer see the detail of the egg designs left by the pan. And, just to garner a little more sympathy from anyone who is sitting through my pity party, this was 3 bars or Valrhona chocolate we are talking about here - wasted {sigh}

Not wanting to be a quitter, I used the rest of the cake mix to make cupcakes. Cupcakes - one of my specialties. Again, cake part ok. Icing - my never fail icing recipe, mind you - was all wrong tonight. I do kind of wing the measurements, and I must have been heavy handed with the milk or something. Anyway, no towering crowns of icing, just flat little unmentionables that will be shuffled off to work tomorrow to people that don't really care about the aesthetics of my baked goods {double sigh}

OK - enough of that. Dry your eyes. My blog has been described by one StumbleUpon reader as "Zany, Fresh, and Positive," so I don't want to disappoint. Maybe it would be a good time for a quizzical? Let's see - what's something that I could ask that you could not look up online...hmmm...I'm not sure there is such a thing anymore. Well, this may be a little more difficult to find if you do not know it on sight: What is the name of my doll shown in this picture?



Only one guess per person! First person with the correct answer receives a unique happy pack!

13 comments:

Ali said...

She looks like a 'Belinda' to me.

And thanks for your honest submission to the 'when cakes go bad' hall of fame. Bet your colleagues scoffed the lot anyway!

Emy said...

Mrs. Beasley?

telfair said...

I'm sorry that you had a disappointment with your cake...it's so frustrating when things like that happen!

I'll bet the cupcakes were incredibly delicious anyway, but I'll bet in your exasperation you weren't really able to enjoy them as much.

I think I know the name of the doll and although I long for one of your happy packs, I think Emy beat me to it. (It wouldn't be fair to have you ship to Australia, anyway.)

Pink Rocket said...

Mrs. Beasley is the doll, but are you asking what you named her? If so I'd say dolly (???)

Gina said...

Yes, yes it's Mrs. Beasley for sure!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Mrs. Beasley is a bit freaky!

i'm so a guest for your pity party! i made a ganache type deal for that radio cake and it did the exact disappointing thing yours did...

my house is cuter than yours said...

p.s. you are such a little cutie!

MARYBETH said...

MRs Beazley was my dolly I schlepped everywhere as a little girl! - some 35 years ago. Where did you find her??

autognosis said...

It's The Granny Nanny Doll!!! I had her and the Grumpy Grampy Doll. I never got the whole set...I am still looking though!!

autognosis said...

It's The Granny Nanny Doll!!! I had her and the Grumpy Grampy Doll. I never got the whole set...I am still looking though!!

autognosis said...

It's The Granny Nanny Doll!!! I had her and the Grumpy Grampy Doll. I never got the whole set...I am still looking though!!

autognosis said...

It's The Granny Nanny Doll!!! I had her and the Grumpy Grampy Doll. I never got the whole set...I am still looking though!!

autognosis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.