Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tie One On ~ Apron for a "Doll"

I'm probably the only one that won't have an actual doll or softie for this month's Tie One On, but I really just didn't have any little guys or dolls hanging 'round here worth dressing up and sharing! We have a couple of dollar store dolls for the nieces, and the hubby has a Rat Fink, and probably some Star Wars figures hiding out somewheres in the garage, but nothing that seemed appropriate for the frilly creation I envisioned for a tiny dolly apron.

I seriously considered buying a doll of Ebay...but thought that may be going a little overboard (and I never do that!) I discovered that I'm totally in love with these "Mannikin" type dolls (see here and here). Another thing I learned this past month - don't mess with doll collectors! There is no such thing as an obscure doll that only you would want. Case in point - this little gal that I thought for sure no one would bid on, but nope - she was snatched up too.

I ended up using a doll-sized mannequin/dress form
(it's about 10" tall) for my pretend doll



I figured not everyone takes a picture of their apron on a real person, so *hopefully* it will be ok that mine this month is not on a real doll! Not sure if a doll is out there that would fit the dimensions of this dress form. It's a little on the - er - busty side, don't you think?

Here's my little apron (inspired by this one over at Anthropologie)



and the back



The apron was really fun to make, though most of it had to be done by hand. I can see why some people love to make doll clothes. There's something about finding fabrics with tiny patterns, sewing on little ruffles and buttons, and enjoying the level of detail you are able to afford something so small. If I ever do get a doll, I think I will enjoy making clothes for her.

A big "thanks for sharing" to buzzville for the continuous bias binding tutorial! I bought the tiniest scraps of fabric for this project (total cost 97 cents), and though there are a lot more joins in the binding than I would like (since the piece of pink checkered fabric was so small), it saved some money from buying the packaged variety - and it was just plain fun to try something new. Oh, and though the tutorial is on cutting bias binding, make sure you have one of these for folding it



I'm not sure I would have had the patience or skill to iron perfect little creases, but this handy device made it all easy.

2 comments:

Pink Rocket said...

oh my gosh! you are totally amazing! the mini apron is just gorgeous!!

my house is cuter than yours said...

wow!!! my dolly is going to be jealous of those ruffles and details...poor thing just got a basic apron!