Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

At Disneyland, The Devil Is In The Details

I know - we all have a Love/Hate relationship with Disney. Well, some people Love/Love, and some Hate/Hate, but I think most people are somewhere in the middle. But man, after a trip to The Happiest Place on Earth, you really can't help but succumb to this ode to mass consumerism.


(Sleeping Beauty's Castle*)

Here are a few pics from our trip to Disneyland the weekend before last. We went with my parents - my Dad is the photographer. I get too wrapped up in things when I am out and about to take pictures. At Disneyland in particular, I would probably forget the camera on the seat of some ride, or it would get soaked on Splash Mountain (like I did - would show you the pic, but then you would also be subjected to seeing my wide derriere). Ha ha ha


(Ursula from The Little Mermaid, Parade of Dreams**)

I did try to direct his picture taking towards some of the little details I noticed for the first time during this trip.


(Little guy on top of Pinocchio's Daring Journey)

Every visit to Disneyland (my parents, BT and I, go every couple years) reveals new little surprises that I never saw before.


(Shadow box in the window of the Market House store on Main Street)

It makes me appreciate this place even more - the rides and grounds could be really fakey-artificial and shoddily crafted underneath, but what the crowds see is meticulously cared for, and you can be easily distracted looking for the hidden surprises - "Easter eggs," or Mickey Mouses, as the case may be.


(Timothy the Mouse on top of Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride. Notice the storks carrying baby animals)

You could probably make some metaphor for the Disney Empire from that last sentence, but I'm still entranced by hearing It's a Small World 49 times in a row. For some reason I'm the only one that ever wants to go on that ride - I'm in love with the 60s-era cut outs and styling (my Dad must have been, too, as he did not get any pics of the inside). Not so keen on the fact that at the end of the ride, all of the children from the different nations are together in "unity," signified by the fact that they are all wearing white. Is that the only way we can live in harmony? If the whole world is white-washed? Damn you Disney politics...

Just one more story. This one made BT and I turn to each other and burst into laughter - we were thinking the same exact thing. During the fireworks show, they played quotes from all the movies that have a person wishing for something (I wish my prince would come, I wish I was a real boy, Wish I could be part of that world) - there were like 10 of them. I said, no wonder our generation is selfish and lacks initiative - we think we can just sit around wishing for stuff and it will happen without any work. Granted, things usually go awry in those movies because of the wish, but it all works out in the end, right? Well, let's give it a try - I wish I didn't have to work at a 9-5 job anymore - not 'cause of anything bad, but just 'cause I don't want to work anymore... *ting*... (Tinkerbell wand noise). I'll keep you posted on how that one works out.



* Yes, my Dad did take this picture, and if anyone steals it there will be hell to pay!

** He took this one, too. How do you get parade shots head on? Sit on the corner of the roundabout at the end of Main Street.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I stole your picture......

Jennifer said...

Who knew my BIL would end up being the jerk! Just kidding - hugs from *hopefully* still your favorite SIL.

Minako said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!