Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Red Hot Velvet, if you please

Well, I couldn't resist. I just had to try to make my own Sprinkles-inspired Red Hot Velvet cupcakes for the ladies at Book Group



I was a little unhappy with how they came out. I mean, they tasted good, and were well-received, but did not have the same red hot bite as the Sprinkles version. I used a lot more than 1 teaspoon of the extract to make the cinnamon taste evident in the frosting at all, but it was not red hot cinnamon flavor. I'm sure there is a specialty store where you can buy this flavoring, or maybe next time I'll just add a dash of Hot Damn - that will give 'em a kick!

It was a little difficult to find Red Velvet cake mix as well. I finally found a box at Walmart (just a regular Walmart with a small food section - not a Super Center) that was the Mam Papauls brand. Man, I have never had such a silky cake mix, and it baked so evenly and nicely - I think Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines just got the boot! I typically use cake mixes, but make my own frosting. I don't know - somebody gave me that advice awhile back. I guess I should try making my own cake. There is just something really comforting about the flavor of a mix that I miss in a cake somebody made from scratch...I know some people feel the complete opposite.

The book we will be reading for March is Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult.

5 comments:

telfair said...

I think they look divine.

I was wondering in your previous post where to find a Red Velvet cake mix. (I'm sure I won't find one in Australia, but perhaps when I go home.)

Whenever I hear "Red Velvet cake" it reminds me of that movie "Steel Magnolias" where the groom's cake was a Red Velvet cake in the shape of an armadillo, with grey frosting. I thought that was the best part of the movie...

Jennifer said...

I know (re Steel Magnolias)!! That's exactly what I think about too. How they thought when it was cut open it would look like it was bleeding...that's one of my favorite movies.

telfair said...

I must have seen that movie about thirty times. It was our favorite thing to rent, in high school, for sleepovers, because we all just sobbed & sobbed luxuriously when Shelby died.
Plus, I'm a secret but HUUUGE Dolly Parton fan...shh...

my house is cuter than yours said...

What a great idea to make red hot flavored cupcaks, and so cute!!! Mail me your extras! The Hot Damn would definately kick them up a bit! and I had an armadillo cake for my wedding (it was my 'bride's' cake, along with a traditional cake and another groom's cake)! my mom made all of them. Steel Magnolias is our favorite movie together. Barely anyone 'got it' at the wedding but we didn't care! My favorite line in the movie.."There's a story there!" ha ha! and Telfair....I still ball my eyes out everytime when shelby dies!

Gina said...

Really, they look perfect, yummy!