Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cheery Cherry Cupcakes

Remember these from elementary school Valentine's Day celebrations?





They are a major nostalgia-inducer for me. Every year, somebody's mom brought these to eat after we opened our valentines at school. I don't know if it was the same mom every year, but I do know that I would have been very disappointed if the cupcakes were not at our little party.

Another thing that makes these cupcakes special is that Betty Crocker does not sell this mix at all times of the year, or at all grocery stores. Growing up, I don't think we ever found the mix at our local store, so I relied on my once a year indulgence at school. I would try to describe the cupcakes to my mom so she could buy the mix, but not finding them at the store, she probably thought I was making them up. Are they Funfetti? No. Party Rainbow Chip? No. Strawberry? No! Cherry Chip with Cherry Frosting! In a heart-print cupcake wrapper! With a big candy heart on top! Not those little ones you get in a box...I know - what a brat!

I guess nowadays you can request that your local grocery store carry just about anything. But, it is kind of fun for me to go on the hunt for the elusive cherry chip cupcakes every year for Valentine's Day. I have a fall-back, as a grocery store near my mom carries them all year and she is willing to send me a box or two (she now, of course, knows what they are, and what all the fuss was about). So, I guess I can rest easier knowing I can always make the best (mix) cupcakes on the planet. Perhaps one day I will be the cool mom that brings these little cakes to the school Valentine's party, and feed some little addict's CCC addiction!

~ Other cupcake notes ~

- I am obsessed with cupcakes, if you haven't figured that out already, but it is good to know there are others. Check out this Flickr group as well.

- Last week I had a yummy Red Hot Velvet cupcake from Sprinkles (see, I told you I'm obsessed!) If you want to make these yourself, just use red velvet cake mix, mix a little cinnamon extract in with vanilla frosting, and top with a red hot - you will surely get rave reviews!

5 comments:

Gina said...

I want to eat those, drool.

elizabeth said...

oh i have NEVER seen that kind of cake mix before (must remember to check the grocery store to see if they have it).

i too am a cupcake freak. now you have me wanting to make more :)

my house is cuter than yours said...

I just found this AWESOME cupcake blog a few days ago and hadn't got a chance to post about it yet:

http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/

lots of yummy cupcakies!

and I've never ever seen that cake mix before...I'll be on the look out for it for sure! Thanks for sharing it!

telfair said...

I love cupcakes too but GB gets annoyed if I make them too frequently because of the whole healthy eating thing.
I, personally, could eat cupcakes every day.
Yours are always much, much cuter than mine, though!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

When I was 5 my mom made these cupcakes that were supposed to look like ice cream cones for my birthday...in the 70's you could buy boxes of cones in colors that did not exist in nature...she stuffed the cupcake down into the cone, decorated it with icing, then topped it with fruit loops...they weren't that bad, as i recall...

--averageloser--