Pages

Friday, January 13, 2006

Tie One On ~ Apron from Clothes

First, here are the clothes used



and the finished apron



So, you're thinking, an apron made from a skirt - how obvious. But please allow me to tell you the story behind the clothes used. First, they are the oldest clothes in our closet, which says a lot. In general, BT and I both follow a "one-touch" rule when it comes to the clothes in our closet. As we are looking for something to wear and see an item past its prime, it gets thrown in a bag in the back of the closet, destined for Goodwill. We also have a set number of hangers for use in the closet, and if we buy new clothes, we must get rid of something else to make room. The same goes for shoes. If Peter from Clean Sweep ever comes here, our closet is one area of our house that he wouldn't be able to complain about.

Somehow these two items stuck around, even though we haven't wore them in years (does anyone else get sentimental about clothes?) The shirt was one of my first gifts to BT when he was a little into Rockabilly - the skirt I wore on our first date, and is from when I was a little into wearing a size 4 (ah, the good old days). All I did was cut the zipper out of the back of the skirt, and sewed the collar, pocket, and four of the bowling pin buttons from BT's shirt to the front. The ties were made from strips of the shirt. I may embroider something on the pocket - I'm not sure yet. Oh, and the size label from the skirt is still there, just as a reminder.

My "official" TOO submission picture will be a little more snazzy - maybe taken at a bowling alley? I wish I could say we went bowling on our first date, just to bring it all together, but me thinks that skirt would have been a little too short to wear bowling...

7 comments:

manda said...

Great apron!

Pink Rocket said...

I LOVE that's it has memories to go with!

my house is cuter than yours said...

jen! This is so fabulous! I absolutely love it! Once again, I think your apron is going to be my favorite! I remember those size 4 days too....

elizabeth said...

great apron!!!

and great blog :)

Margot said...

I love that this apron will have meaning for you for years to come. Great job, truly inspired.

Catrina said...

Your apron creation is FaNtAsTiC!!! I really love the cool retro style!

Paid Critique said...

love the Apron. good combination with the cloth!