Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Members Only

I think I've only mentioned in passing the amazing book group I am a part of. In fact, we are, the Best Book Group Ever (BBGE). We meet once a month, and, like many book groups, or meetings have turned more towards socializing than discussing the book. Our last meeting, only two of us read the book all the way through (in my defense, it was a very popular book, and I was only able to obtain a copy from the library a couple of days before the meeting).

Despite our tendency towards gab, we all enjoy being part of BBGE. For some of the moms of the group, it is a rare opportunity to get away for a night unfettered, and all of us enjoy catching up with each other. We also all enjoy planning themed meals that either correlate with the book (for last month's book On Beauty, we each prepared a "beautiful" food dish), or any food theme we all want to try.

Our book for February is Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro. It was my choice for the group. I have not read the book before (always risky), but it seems like a good "coming-of-age" story. It was written in the 70s, so perhaps it will offer an interesting historical perspective about being a teenager during that time.

I am also the secretary for the group, and end my email messages with a book quote, so here is one to end this post:

"Resolve to edge in a little reading every day, if it is but a single sentence. If you gain fifteen minutes a day, it will make itself felt at the end of the year." ~ Horace Mann (1796-1859) ~


Picture from The Child's World - Third Reader by Hetty S. Browne et al.

2 comments:

my house is cuter than yours said...

I never ever have time to read a book, barely have time to skim a magazine, but my little bit of reading everyday, as your quote says, is your blog!

telfair said...

That's great...I love to read, and wish I could find a good book club -- a GOOD one -- near me. I miss the book club I would occasionally attend with my mom, back home, at her library. There's nothing like being able to make new friends AND talk about a book at the same time.