Pages

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

The Couple that Games Together, Stays Together

My husband is a gamer. Plain and simple. He has owned almost every platform that has been sold, or at least played many of the games available on the different systems. In his youth, he started with handheld games such as Mattel’s Classic Football. Then came Atari and Coleco Vision, and took his gaming to the next level. In high school, he could be found at Graziano’s Pizza playing arcade games, or mastering Nintendo and Sega classics at home. In college, he found computer games, online games, handheld systems, etc. He has also dabbled in role-playing games (RPGs) and card games (TCG). Basically, anything that requires him to take on the role of a character and accomplish a goal.

His interest in gaming continues today. He has been known to stay up until 6:00 a.m. playing first-person shooter games on the computer. He is drawn into the alternate universe, and just loses track of time. Sleep-deprived, he continues with his mission until the credits roll down the screen wondering, is that all I get? He crawls into bed just as I get up to start my day.

Now, I could be put off by his tendency to keep to himself and play these games incessantly. Furthermore, I could remain ignorant to all the terms he uses to describe the gaming process (video cards, emulators, ROMs, etc.) Instead, I have decided to embrace my hubby's hobby. I, too, have an interest, albeit undeveloped, in gaming. I played a little Nintendo in my day, and found the Sim games intriguing. We have recently required a second controller (that was my ticket to enter his world) that allows us to play classics such as Bubble Bobble and Busta Brothers together on the computer. We spend time together doing something we found we both enjoy. He is willing to play 2-player games, and I am willing to devote *free* time to gaming. Compromise - isn’t that the key to marital bliss?

No comments: