Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Curiosity did not kill this cat

After a weekend of bad news (it always comes in threes, you know), I was not prepared for the final blow. One of our indoor cats had pushed her way out the kitchen window and had gone missing. Mind you, a swarm of guilty feelings came to me at once. Why didn't I fix the window after my sister-in-law broke into our house? (A story for another day) How would she live in the cruel, cruel world without her claws? (Please, I am in enough trauma - save me the lecture) Why did I leave that window open anyway?

Of course, I scoured the neighborhood. I even made a flyer - which my husband would not let me post. I informed the neighbors, and sent out a few I-know-people-are-dying-but-if-you-have-a-minute-please-help-me-too prayers. But, I also considered the fact that she had made quite an effort to get out, even breaking a few screws in the process. Maybe it was just time for her to go explore the world beyond the confines of our two bedroom apartment. But why would a cat decide to leave a comfy sofa and all the Kat Kibble she could eat? Are we really that bad of parents?

Well, all's well that ends well (I am a fan of the cliches, as you will see if you re-visit my blog). She showed up at the front door around midnight last night, standing on her hind legs rattling the screen door. I was so happy to see her, and I think she is glad to be home. I hope she found what she was looking for during her brief leave.

2 comments:

BT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BT said...

Curses! Foiled again! I'll get you next time kitties, next time!
-from your chihuahua